Python Forum
package installed by synaptic not accessible by jupyter
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
package installed by synaptic not accessible by jupyter
I have this problem probably generated by having installed anaconda python over a ubuntu 16.10 sys where python is already installed (both 2.7 and 3).
I installed package pokereval via pip but it only gets the "wrong" version (some functions I need do not work) I then managed to install the version I wanted via synaptic (searching pokereval authomatically gave me 138.0-1 the one I need) BUT it was installed in usr/bin and it is not accessible by jupyter or ipython installed via anaconda (or any other ipython I might want in separated environments)
How can I install that package in the environment I want?
this is the echo$PATH response: /usr/bin/:/home/furio/bin:/home/furio/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin furio@furio-XPS-15-9550:~$
Thanks for your help
I must make aware that i have never used anaconda. So i am not 100% sure.

It should work if you compile the 3rd party lib using the anaconda python interpreter path

for system python build
/usr/bin/python setup.py install
for anaconda
~/anaconda/bin/python setup.py install
Where setup.py is in the 3rd party download of the version you want.
Recommended Tutorials:
You don't use that anymore metulburr,only in rare cases.
Anaconda comes with own installer conda comes aslo with pip.
conda install packagename
Quote:How can I install that package in the environment I want?

You should get this question when installing. 
Quote:Do you wish the installer to prepend the Anaconda install location to PATH in your /home/name/.bashrc ? [yes¦no]
If answer no you have to setup yourself.
export PATH=~/anaconda/bin:$PATH
It is assumed that Anaconda is installed in the default ~/anaconda.

Confirm that it worked
conda --v
Useful commands:
conda update conda
conda update anaconda
conda update bokeh

Edit some more info about this.
There also Miniconda.
Which only has necessary stuff.

There installer conda is really good.
Look like this when run conda install scikit-learn.
It will find all other package that needed and install them.
Output:
The following packages will be downloaded:    package                    |            build     ---------------------------|-----------------     conda-3.10.0               |           py27_0         207 KB     conda-env-2.1.3            |           py27_0          54 KB     nose-1.3.4                 |           py27_1         233 KB     numpy-1.9.2                |           py27_0        23.2 MB     requests-2.6.0             |           py27_0         590 KB     scikit-learn-0.16.0        |       np19py27_0         3.5 MB     scipy-0.15.1               |       np19py27_0        71.3 MB     ------------------------------------------------------------                                            Total:        99.0 MB

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jupyter notebooks, jupyter kernels, virtual environment created in Anaconda... bytecrunch 8 2,336 Nov-05-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: snippsat