Python Forum
few questions (I am a beginner)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
few questions (I am a beginner)
Huh I am very new to python and having a hard time understanding some basic things. Can anyone please help me with the following? Can you please answer my questions in the same format?
Thank you

1. Am I correct in saying python is a multi purpose language in that it can help build websites, app development and query databases?
2. Can python be used to query a SQL database? How about a NoSQL database?
3. Do I need to have very good math/statistical background in order to code
with python?
4. Whats the name of the tool in which I would create my python code? Example, I would use TOAD/Oracle developer to query a Oracle database. What would I use for python?

I am mostly interested in learning python to query databases/build reports.
(Sep-27-2019, 01:39 PM)eeps24 Wrote: 1. Am I correct in saying python is a multi purpose language in that it can help build websites, app development and query databases?
you can use python for all of the above and many more...

(Sep-27-2019, 01:39 PM)eeps24 Wrote: 2. Can python be used to query a SQL database? How about a NoSQL database?
yes on both counts. Popular database providers have python bindings/connectors already developed. Do you have specific SQL/No-SQL DB in mind?

(Sep-27-2019, 01:39 PM)eeps24 Wrote: 3. Do I need to have very good math/statistical background in order to code with python?
My personal opinion is that math skills/math mindset is always an advantage in life :-) Even more in fileds like programming/computer science, etc. At the same time python is considered very beginner-friendly and is often selected as language of choice for introduction to programming

(Sep-27-2019, 01:39 PM)eeps24 Wrote: 4. Whats the name of the tool in which I would create my python code? Example, I would use TOAD/Oracle developer to query a Oracle database. What would I use for python?

You can use even simplest textprocessing application like Notepad to write code. Of course full-fledged IDE is better and comes with many useful features. List of python IDEs:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedD...vironments

My personal preference is VSCode for a full IDE

(Sep-27-2019, 01:39 PM)eeps24 Wrote: I am mostly interested in learning python to query databases/build reports.
Definitely give it a try. Even if you decide to expand further and take on new language(s) in the future
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Sep-27-2019, 01:39 PM)eeps24 Wrote: 2. Can python be used to query a SQL database? How about a NoSQL database?
yes on both counts. Popular database providers have python bindings/connectors already developed. Do you have specific SQL/No-SQL DB in mind?

For SQL, Microsoft SQL and Oracle.
For NoSql, any flavor really but I guess if I had to pick how about mongoDB.

(Sep-27-2019, 01:39 PM)eeps24 Wrote: 3. Do I need to have very good math/statistical background in order to code with python?
My personal opinion is that math skills/math mindset is always an advantage in life :-) Even more in fileds like programming/computer science, etc. At the same time python is considered very beginner-friendly and is often selected as language of choice for introduction to programming

Of course math is always an advantage, but my question is, do I "need" to have these advance math skills to code?

Thank you for your reply, huge help.
All of the mentioned DBs have [own specific] python bindings available. And for SQL-kind you can also use sqlalchemy (I didn't mention it, but it allows to connect to different DB engines)

You definitely don't need advance math skills. That's why I said math skills are advantage (i.e. not requirement)
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginner dumb questions related to job search Nata444 5 2,337 Apr-26-2021, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Nata444