Python Forum
pip unable to install because of missing ssl module
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
pip unable to install because of missing ssl module
im trying to install pandas on python3.6. It seems to work fine in python2.x.

Output:
metulburr@ubuntu:~$ sudo pip3 install pandas The directory '/home/metulburr/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag. pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL, however the ssl module in Python is not available. The directory '/home/metulburr/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag. Collecting pandas  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/pandas/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available. - skipping  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pandas (from versions: ) No matching distribution found for pandas metulburr@ubuntu:~$ sudo pip install pandas The directory '/home/metulburr/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag. The directory '/home/metulburr/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag. Requirement already satisfied: pandas in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages Requirement already satisfied: pytz>=2011k in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from pandas) Requirement already satisfied: python-dateutil in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from pandas) Requirement already satisfied: numpy>=1.7.0 in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from pandas) Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.5 in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (from python-dateutil->pandas) metulburr@ubuntu:~$ pip3 -V pip 9.0.1 from /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (python 3.6) metulburr@ubuntu:~$ pip -V pip 9.0.1 from /home/metulburr/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages (python 2.7)
Recommended Tutorials:
The easiest way is to get the wheel here: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pandas

These always seem to be well tested and complete.

There is a wheel for both 32 and 64 bit python 3.6
I believe he is using Linux.

I notice in the first (pip3) attempt, it says the 'ssl' module is not 'available'. I presume it's installed, but looking at the docs I noticed this

Changed in version 3.6: OpenSSL 0.9.8, 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 are deprecated and no longer supported. In the future the ssl module will require at least OpenSSL 1.0.2 or 1.1.0.

Could this be related?
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
For sure
It happened to me too but I was thinking I've broken my system. I was playing with my Arch.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Jun-08-2017, 02:04 AM)sparkz_alot Wrote: I believe he is using Linux.

I notice in the first (pip3) attempt, it says the 'ssl' module is not 'available'. I presume it's installed, but looking at the docs I noticed this

Changed in version 3.6: OpenSSL 0.9.8, 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 are deprecated and no longer supported. In the future the ssl module will require at least OpenSSL 1.0.2 or 1.1.0.

Could this be related?

Yes im on linux.
I believe i am using version 1.0.2 based on....
metulburr@ubuntu:~$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.2, OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
Recommended Tutorials:
Looks like it might be a fluke in compiling. As i didnt do anything different. I saw someones suggestion that it fixed for them in just recompiling with the same config. So i tried that and it seemed to fixed the issue.
metulburr@ubuntu:~$ sudo !!
sudo pip3 install pandas
[sudo] password for metulburr: 
The directory '/home/metulburr/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
The directory '/home/metulburr/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
Collecting pandas
  Downloading pandas-0.20.2-cp36-cp36m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl (24.5MB)
    100% |████████████████████████████████| 24.5MB 73kB/s 
Collecting python-dateutil>=2 (from pandas)
  Downloading python_dateutil-2.6.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (194kB)
    100% |████████████████████████████████| 194kB 2.1MB/s 
Collecting pytz>=2011k (from pandas)
  Downloading pytz-2017.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl (484kB)
    100% |████████████████████████████████| 491kB 1.6MB/s 
Collecting numpy>=1.7.0 (from pandas)
  Downloading numpy-1.13.0-cp36-cp36m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl (17.0MB)
    100% |████████████████████████████████| 17.0MB 108kB/s 
Collecting six>=1.5 (from python-dateutil>=2->pandas)
  Downloading six-1.10.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: six, python-dateutil, pytz, numpy, pandas
Successfully installed numpy-1.13.0 pandas-0.20.2 python-dateutil-2.6.0 pytz-2017.2 six-1.10.0

metulburr@ubuntu:~$ python3
Python 3.6.1 (default, Jun  8 2017, 06:36:16) 
[GCC 5.4.0 20160609] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import pandas
>>> exit()
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jun-08-2017, 10:40 AM)metulburr Wrote: $ sudo !!
What does that do? Is it similar to sudo su -, which starts a new login session as root?
(Jun-08-2017, 05:31 PM)nilamo Wrote:
(Jun-08-2017, 10:40 AM)metulburr Wrote: $ sudo !!
What does that do?  Is it similar to sudo su -, which starts a new login session as root?

It runs the previous command as sudo
pip3 install pandas -> sudo pip3 install pandas
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jun-08-2017, 06:29 PM)metulburr Wrote: It runs the previous command as sudo

That sounds suspiciously like TheFuck: https://github.com/nvbn/thefuck
It's this neat little script that "corrects" your last command. Using sudo, fixing spelling mistakes, along with many other things.
you can do some of that stuff with bash without any additions....for example search and replace. Ill often do on a long command that i dont want to hit up and hold left arrow forever to get to the position needed replacing...
metulburr@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
metulburr@ubuntu:~$ !!:s/update/upgrade
sudo apt-get upgrade
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to install dataprep on my python notebook simplexity 0 3,532 Oct-11-2020, 01:59 AM
Last Post: simplexity
  I am unable to install NumPy in Python3.7.0 and I don't know why. kanika97_scs 4 7,983 Mar-21-2018, 08:37 PM
Last Post: metulburr