Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
pip vs pip3
what is the difference between pip and pip3? i thought pip3 was to access the repository of packages for python3 (e.g. a python3-only system only needs pip3) and the old pip command was to access the repository of packages for python < 3. or is it just a python3 version of pip and it accesses everything? which version of pip do i need to install/upgrade pip, itself? maybe i need to remove everything and start all over. but now both pip versions are crashing (since a recent Ubuntu upgrade) from a lack of a module named pyasn1.

if one does not yet have pip or pip3, how is it initially installed? i cannot recall doing this so i thought it came in Ubuntu, but i can't find it there.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I don't understand your question. Normally there is one pip for every installed python. Usually in ubuntu, pip is for the default /usr/bin/python (python 2) and pip3 is for /usr/bin/python3. This may be changing/about to change because python 2 reaches the end of its support. You may have broken something by trying to update pip.

If pyasn1 is missing, you could try
Output:
sudo apt install python-pyasn1 python3-pyasn1
i did not try to update pip or pip3. i periodically upgrade my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system which was directly installed as 16.04 (not an upgrade from 12.04 LTS). it must be something in that latest upgrade that broke pip (and pip3). i am also getting the message about pyasn1 when i run my backup that goes to AWS S3 cloud storage space.

now the error message is different. i have not change anything that am aware of, but i have been looking around a lot. i am trying to figure out how to do a fresh install of pip, when it also installs dependent packages. it is in my memory that long ago trying to upgrade pip and pip3 would always fail (but i don't remember the error message for that). that's why i was to just do a fresh install, all over again. since pip won't be there initially, i'm guessing it will be something like unpacking a zip file. and i don't remember where to get it.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Skaperen Wrote:if one does not yet have pip or pip3, how is it initially installed?
sudo apt install python3-pip
You can look at this,there i start from a new Distro.
Had a problem with pip 18.0,so had to do changes in /usr/bin/pip3 to get pip 18.0 to work.
To recover the pip3 binary:
sudo python3 -m pip uninstall pip && sudo apt install python3-pip --reinstall
Working it look like this:
tom@tom-VirtualBox:~$ which pip
/home/tom/.local/bin/pip
tom@tom-VirtualBox:~$ which pip3
/home/tom/.local/bin/pip3

tom@tom-VirtualBox:~$ pip -V
pip 18.0 from /home/tom/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip (python 3.6)
tom@tom-VirtualBox:~$ pip3 -V
pip 18.0 from /home/tom/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip (python 3.6)
issue tracker pip
here is the current error:
Output:
File "/usr/local/bin/pip", line 11, in <module> sys.exit(main()) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pip/_internal/__init__.py", line 246, in main return command.main(cmd_args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pip/_internal/basecommand.py", line 228, in main status = self.run(options, args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pip/_internal/commands/list.py", line 152, in run self.output_package_listing(packages, options) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pip/_internal/commands/list.py", line 242, in output_package_listing self.output_package_listing_columns(data, header) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/pip/_internal/commands/list.py", line 271, in output_package_listing_columns logger.info(val) Message: 'zope.interface 4.3.2
i did the command pip list (same error for pip3 list) when i got the above error that now blames zope (i guess that's what it means). i have not searched around for this, yet.

if you are on a system without pip or pip3, how do you install either for the very first time?

(Aug-24-2018, 10:49 PM)Skaperen Wrote: if you are on a system without pip or pip3, how do you install either for the very first time?
Hmm did you read my post,again with also Python 2.
# Python 3
sudo apt install python3-pip

# Python 2
sudo apt-get install python-pip
this page seems to describe how to install pip, but is unclear about specific details.

https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/
the confusion is probably because while i am installing onto Ubuntu, i want to install as if installing to a non-distro Linux system (e.g. just like i were a distro builder).

i need a non-package straight install. not with apt.

(Aug-24-2018, 11:15 PM)Skaperen Wrote: i need a non-package straight install. not with apt.
Did you try the old method? Download the pip tarball
https://pypi.org/project/pip/#files

and cd into it and execute
python setup.py install
where python is whatever version you want to install pi to
Recommended Tutorials:
no, i didn't try the tarball because i didn't know where to get it.

i don't see any tarballs on that page. do you have a direct path?

Its the tar.gz file
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pip3 problem with py3exiv2 jcezanna56 0 1,490 May-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: jcezanna56
  pip or pip3 - which should it be? Skaperen 0 1,961 Aug-07-2019, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  pip & pip3 question CosmicCliff 1 2,112 Mar-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  pip3 under Mac sgbotsford 1 2,418 Apr-06-2018, 05:16 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Install Python3 & PIP3 & Django on MAC OSX topjaba 1 3,569 Dec-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Last Post: metulburr