Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
pip vs pip3
i don't see any tar.gz on that page. i don't see any files at all. all i see are a bunch of links that don't seem to be of any help. do i need to drill down somewhere? are we getting the same page contents?

the links are in 4 columns labeled:

Help
About PyPi
Contributing to PyPi
Using PyPi

should i run that get-pip.py script the first help link refers to?

i tried to upload a screen capture but my site is on AWS and all my AWS transfer tools are broken because of this.

who here has the pyasn1 package installed and where did it come from?

i'm trying to determine whether #1 is true or #2 is true:

1. there previously was a pyasn1 package present and it got removed.

2. there was no pyasn1 package even before but some update resulted in a new dependency for it that was not correct resolved.

i am considering installing a pyasn1 package. since pip depends on it and so does not work, i cannot easily install the pypi version. i don't know how, even though i have heard there is a way to install pypi packages without pip. but there is also an Ubuntu package of a similar name. i am worried that i could get into a long chain of dependency installs, which has happened with Ubuntu before, twice for me. They are not that good at finding or recoding all dependencies. or maybe it's a Debian issue.

i just realized i have a VPS running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS that has not been upgraded in a while (because i had been trying to get a couple packages to work and wanted a stable environment to work that in). so i just logged in there and pip works there. pip is probably too big to just copy the files from there. i'll be doing some comparisons (i have a reverse-incremental backup of it, here so i can run a massive compare. there is no pyasn1 package there. i just need to consider that the VPS is a server edition and my laptop is a desktop edition. but they both have 2.7.12 and 3.5.2.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Aug-25-2018, 03:45 AM)Skaperen Wrote: i just realized i have a VPS running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS that has not been upgraded in a while
I have a desktop Kubuntu 16.04 with the latest updates and everything works fine.
you dont see these download links?

Attached Files

Thumbnail(s)

Recommended Tutorials:
Not using OS install sudo apt install python3-pip
pip 18.0 documentation
So you run the curl command and python get-pip.py

One command avoids writing the file to disk.
Assumes that you already have python3.6 installed.
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py | sudo python3.6
After this, pip, pip3, and pip3.6 can all be expected to point to the same target.
$ pip -V
pip 18.0 from /usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages (python 3.6)
$ pip3 -V
$ pip3.6 -V
So for 3.5:
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py | sudo python3.5
Well, pip comes with Python since version 3.4. As I remember.
Ubuntu 16.04 comes with Python 3.5.2.
When I install something with pip I just run pip install -U <something>.
Sometimes it doesn't work as I expect ( can't import the module ) so I try again with python3 -m pip install -U <something>.
It should work one way or another.

I use mostly Arch which is rolling release and the default python version is Python 3+. pip install ... means pip3 install ....
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Aug-25-2018, 05:38 AM)Gribouillis Wrote:
(Aug-25-2018, 03:45 AM)Skaperen Wrote: i just realized i have a VPS running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS that has not been upgraded in a while
I have a desktop Kubuntu 16.04 with the latest updates and everything works fine.

do you have awscli and/or pyasn1 installed?

if not, install awscli and see if that brings in pyasn1. if it installs but does not bring in pyasn1 then have a look at file /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/awscli/customizations/cloudtrail/validation.py and see if is has the string "pyasn1" in it, particularly in an import around line 25.

i'm still focusing on awscli because it was the first place i found this problem. and, yes, i am curious how an Ubuntu upgrade can bring about problems with stuff from pypi. maybe pyasn1 previously existed and that upgrade removed it, perhaps due to a file collision. next i need to see why pip itself fails, because it might be the thing i need to get pyasn1 to be available.

(Aug-25-2018, 11:10 PM)wavic Wrote: Well, pip comes with Python since version 3.4. As I remember.
Sometimes it doesn't work as I expect ( can't import the module ) so I try again with python3 -m pip install -U <something>.

I use mostly Arch which is rolling release and the default python version is Python 3+. pip install ... means pip3 install ....
so pip3 is just pip running in python3 and not something to specifically access a python3 specific repository?

(Aug-25-2018, 11:10 PM)wavic Wrote: Well, pip comes with Python since version 3.4. As I remember.

Ubuntu breaks things up. i just found that pip comes as a separate package in Ubuntu. i'm going to try to install that and see what i get.

everyone who runs any Linux distro: what is the path of your copy of pip? e.g. what do you get from the command which pip or which pip3?

i just uninstalled pip and it is still here (at /usr/local/bin/pip) and now it actually works OK.

5 of them are still there, pip, pip2, pip2.7, pip3, and pip3.5.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
i figured it out. somehow i have copies of lots of packages from /usr duplicated in /usr/local. and, of course, the ones in /usr/local are not being properly upgraded. this explains lots of errors. but now for some work. there are about 20 more packages duplicated in there (after i cleaned up awscli and pip). but i have to be careful because there are also lots of legit files in /usr/local, too, like my own modules and commands.

wow! i'm finding stuff set up for Python as far back as 2.4. there a lots of dups of stuff for 2.6. now i know where a lot of my disk space went. maybe i should have installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (i had decided to wait for 20.04 LTS plus a couple months to do a major upgrade). i guess i should just get rid of anything for lower than Python 2.7 and 3.5 since those are the only versions of Python i have (and some day only 3.X). if it's something i know i need, then get a newer version of that so it will really run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pip3 problem with py3exiv2 jcezanna56 0 1,490 May-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: jcezanna56
  pip or pip3 - which should it be? Skaperen 0 1,961 Aug-07-2019, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  pip & pip3 question CosmicCliff 1 2,112 Mar-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  pip3 under Mac sgbotsford 1 2,418 Apr-06-2018, 05:16 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Install Python3 & PIP3 & Django on MAC OSX topjaba 1 3,570 Dec-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Last Post: metulburr