Python Forum
popup message box code runs in Windows, but not in Linux
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
popup message box code runs in Windows, but not in Linux
see: https://bugs.python.org/msg230771
It might be bugginess in my Kubuntu 16.04 system.  Somehow this distro has gotten really buggy lately with applications not working, settings going haywire, needing to reinstall stuff.  It's frustrating because Kubuntu has been great for years, but now I'm considering migrating to Mint.
It's obvious that you broke something in your system. The Kubuntu is Ubuntu system with KDE plasma desktop installed and perhaps some additional features so one can call it distro. If Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, Ubuntu-MATE work, Kubuntu should work too without glitches.

Try:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -f
sudo apt upgrade
Restart the system
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt autoclean
After all of that reinstall Python.
sudo apt install --reinstall python python3
Try to run the script again.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(May-10-2017, 12:12 AM)wavic Wrote: t's obvious that you broke something in your system. The Kubuntu is Ubuntu system with KDE plasma desktop installed and perhaps some additional features so one can call it distro. If Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, Ubuntu-MATE work, Kubuntu should work too without glitches.
@Luke_Drillbrain
A lot of people dont know that these are all the same with different desktops. Kubuntu is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop. Which by the way is a very bloated desktop. Install a lightwieght desktop like lxde (which by the way is Lubuntu's desktop). And mint is also Ubuntu tailered to people that switch from windows with ease.

install the desktop
sudo apt-get install lxde
logout and you will see an option to switch desktops from KDE to lxde, login and wala...you are in Lubuntu. Much less bloated too.

Quote:It's frustrating because Kubuntu has been great for years, but now I'm considering migrating to Mint.
One great thing about linux is its free to reinstall. No crap like 3 install limits like windows has. I usually wont allow 1-2 years go by without a fresh install. That could be because i want to try something or start anew...or be because i broke something and its easier to start fresh than diagnose what you did to mess it up. More often the later with Arch Linux that i break something and cant figure out how to fix it.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PyQt] Hover over highlighted text and open popup window DrakeSoft 2 1,448 Oct-29-2022, 04:30 PM
Last Post: DrakeSoft
  POPUP on widget Entry taratata2020 4 3,673 Mar-10-2020, 05:04 PM
Last Post: taratata2020
  [WxPython] How to show remove button at the right side of the hovering item of a combobox popup? indrajitmajumdar 0 2,491 Mar-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Last Post: indrajitmajumdar
  [Tkinter] [SOLVED] Create per button popup menu py2.7 AceScottie 5 6,124 May-31-2018, 12:39 AM
Last Post: AceScottie
  Code fails on Mac, works on Windows and Raspberry Pi eugenedakin 4 3,964 May-30-2018, 03:49 AM
Last Post: eugenedakin
  [PyQt] source code is not running in REDHAT 7 linux platform shridhara 0 2,093 May-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Last Post: shridhara
  Please advice Linux library - tray icon, popup windows, ICQ/Skype style etc ramendik 5 3,989 Dec-03-2017, 04:35 AM
Last Post: Larz60+