Python Forum
program exited with code: -1073740791
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
program exited with code: -1073740791
Hi All. This is my first post and today represented my first foray into the world of python (and programming again after doing some VB around 18 years ago). And I hit a snag straight away which is hugely frustrating. You will all have to forgive me if this question has been posted before; I have had a quick scan of the forums and could not see it. Anyway I will continue.

Firstly the details:
I have installed version 3.8.0
I am using Geany 1.36
My OS is Windows 10 Home 64 bit (build 18362)

So I tried the first program everyone does: print(“Hello world”), hit execute and I get the following returned:

(program exited with code: -1073740791)
Press any key to continue...

I have spent the last 30 minutes googling this and I can find nothing that refers to this exit code. I have a laptop with windows 8 and get the same on that. I thought it may be an OS/version issue, but I get the same on the Windows 10 machine.

Please could someone help? I did not expect to get so stuck so early.

Thanks in advance.
How did you "Execute" your program? I don't know Geany but if you want to use it or any other editor (besides maybe IDLE that comes with python) you have to learn more about the editor than you do about python. Dump Geany for now. You should really learn how to use the command line to run your programs and save the IDEs for later but since you probably want to see your first programs run just use IDLE.
Open it from Win10 Start Menu. You will get an interactive session and you will see the interactive prompt ">>>". Type
print("Hello")
and hit ENTER. Poof, "hello" prints on the next line. That's the interactive interpreter and you can use it to try quick, short code snippets to play around.
Now, click File > New File. Another window opens that you can write longer programs in. type your print statement a couple times on separate lines. Now click Run > Run Module. IDLE will make you save your program first and then your code output will appear in the other (interactive) window.

That's the basics. Now find a good tutorial and dive in...
"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!" - Tim the Enchanter
Quote:“Hello world”

Did you copy these off of a website “ ”?
If so try to copy this instead:
print("Hello")
Notice the difference?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Code For a program PythonCodeMaker_119 2 2,288 Apr-14-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: BashBedlam
  Modify code from running program ? samuelbachorik 2 2,406 Jun-26-2020, 08:17 PM
Last Post: samuelbachorik
  How ad key unlocker program to code? storzo 8 3,438 Sep-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Last Post: micseydel