Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pyethrecover Program help
I know almost nothing about python and need help with this program:

Sorry, understandably, it says I can not post clickable links on my first message.
The program is on github.

github.com/ethereum/pyethereum

It appears to be a Linux program unless there is a windows version I do not Know about.

On Ubuntu 16.04, I tried to compile it but get a message saying I am missing the Bitcoin lib.

What do I need to do?

I will need some other help later once I can get it running.
Hello!

pip install bitcoin
This should install the missed library.
See here what are the requirements for this program.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Please bear with me. I am not using this site quite correctly yet.

I tried "pip install bitcoin" but am getting a response that it can not find it.
Feel free to share the actual error.
This is console output:

Output:
[email=sysadmin@h4:~$]sysadmin@h4:~$[/email] pip install bitcoin Collecting bitcoin   Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f496e305990>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',)': /simple/bitcoin/   Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f496e305dd0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',)': /simple/bitcoin/   Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f496e305310>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',)': /simple/bitcoin/   Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f496e305ad0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',)': /simple/bitcoin/   Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f496e3056d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',)': /simple/bitcoin/   Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement bitcoin (from versions: ) No matching distribution found for bitcoin [email=sysadmin@h4:~$]sysadmin@h4:~$[/email]
My best guess is that this is the python bitcoin library.

https://github.com/petertodd/python-bitcoinlib

I have downloaded it but do not know what to do with it.

Moderator Larz60+: Added output tag
Extract it, open a terminal, go into the folder and run: python setup.py
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Here's a tutorial: https://mc2-umd.github.io/ethereumlab/do...torial.pdf
A source said they ran this program on windows.

I get this error:

C:\Users\admin\Desktop\RecoverySetupToRun>python pyethrecover.py -myfile.json -s
 password_spec.txt
  File "pyethrecover.py", line 134
    except Exception, e:
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
C:\Users\admin\Desktop\RecoverySetupToRun>
Try "as" instead of a comma:

>>> try: cat
... except Exception, e: print(e)
  File "<stdin>", line 2
    except Exception, e: print(e)
                    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> try: cat
... except Exception as e: print(e)
name 'cat' is not defined
except Exception, e:
is a python2 syntax, incompatible with python3, so it seems that you are trying to run a python2 program with python3. You can either change syntax to correct one for python3 as Nilamo suggested (either manually, or there is 2to3 program that can do it (mostly)), or try to run it with python2.