Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pyethrecover Program help
Thanks again. I will try to do a little research now as I recall reading something about this and they made a code change of some sort. You will prob understand it much better than I.

I will also try the earlier version of python as I seem to have version 3.

I have a meeting soon, so that will be it for today and I will look up these things and try again tomorrow.

Info on this thing is very hard to find and seems spotty at best.

Thanks again. Talk tomorrow.
After a bit of research, I came up with this:

http://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questi...2249#12249

This may put us back to square one here and be the most recent and best way to go. Please Advise.

I would like to ultimately run this on my Linux computer (Ubuntu 16.04) as it is a much faster computer.

At present, the Linux computer has Python 2.7 installed.

So, please suggest my next step.
I'm having a similar problem since I've lost a password to my wallet too. I'm at square zero at the moment and have zero experience of coding or usage of Git. So I will probably need some steps and help to get even where you are at the moment. And it seems a bit funny if I'm trying to give my two cents... Maybe I'm just dumb but what came in to my mind after your last problem with...

python pyethrecover.py -w wallet -s pa

... is that did you specify a path to your wallet keyfile after -w ? Shouldn't the word "wallet" be replaced with the path to the file to be cracked?

P.S. I just found another GitHub project that might be worth a shot if we can't get pyethrecover working: github.com/lexansoft/ethcracker
I'm running Windows. I have Python 3.6.1 installed. But I don't know how to install Bitcoin library (or if this is the right one https://github.com/petertodd/python-bitcoinlib ).

I have tried to install it best of my knowledge and this is the result:

"C:\Temp\GitRepo\python-bitcoinlib>setup.py
C:\Users\Hujanen\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\setuptools\dist.py:340: UserWarning: The version specified ('0.7.1-SNAPSHOT') is an invalid version, this may not work as expected with newer versions of setuptools, pip, and PyPI. Please see PEP 440 for more details.
 "details." % self.metadata.version
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
  or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
  or: setup.py --help-commands
  or: setup.py cmd --help

error: no commands supplied"

Help?

EDIT: I have managed to install bitcoin library now. Going forward...
(Jun-11-2017, 05:53 AM)Nozu Wrote: python pyethrecover.py -w wallet -s pa

... is  that did you specify a path to your wallet keyfile after -w ? Shouldn't the word "wallet" be replaced with the path to the file to be cracked?

P.S. I just found another GitHub project that might be worth a shot if we can't get pyethrecover working: github.com/lexansoft/ethcracker

First and foremost, do not work with your original wallet file. If it is lost or corrupted, it is lost forever
with no chance of recovery.
Make a backup copy of it to work with.
DO NOT POST A COPY OF YOUR WALLET FILE PUBLICLY. IT IS YOUR KEY.

Second, place the copy of it in the program directory then you do not need to specify a path. Since the eth wallets seem to have long file names, you can rename it something shorter like "mywallet1.json".

Third, you should now be able to run it something like this:

python3 pyethrecover.py -w mywallet1.json

Note that this program is only for presale wallets. As I understand it - Version 1. There are three ways to create a wallet I know of other than presale. That is using geth, mist, or parity and they are all to the best of my knowledge Version 3. You can check which version you have by opening the file with a text editor and looking for the text something like "version 3". If you see it you have a version three wallet and are using the wrong program.

This is one possibility for version 3:

https://github.com/danielchalef/pyethrecoverv3

If you have little or no programming experience, this will be hard for you at best and you should consider having it done by a professional you can trust. I am getting close to be able to do them now after much hard work and a lot of innovation on my part. I asked one fellow early on to show me how to do this and he wanted a fee of 50 eth.

On github.com/lexansoft/ethcracker - This is new to me. Thanks for the tip. I have not looked into it yet and vetted the code to see if it is safe. Do not trust it unless you can verify it.