Python Forum
python GUI - which to use ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
python GUI - which to use ?
(Sep-11-2019, 12:00 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Correct me If I am wrong, but PyQt5 is not free if used for commercial applications.
No, you are not wrong.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Sep-11-2019, 12:00 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Correct me If I am wrong, but PyQt5 is not free if used for commercial applications.

Commercial application,
you meant company use it or
you help the company install it ?
If application using pyqt5 is to be sold, thus commercial application

That is one reason why I use wxpython, The main reason is that I just like working with wxpython
here's an example of how easy it is to create a nice looking gui in wxpython: https://python-forum.io/Thread-Perfectly...t=wxpython
A was more talking about Qt Designer when i said free to use and install.
For all Qt product if release as a commercial product need a Riverbank Commercial License(550$ a year).
There a two branches PyQt5 and PySide2(also now known as Qt for Python).
The both need the Riverbank license,but Pyside2(Qt for Python) has a LGPL licence,allows you to distribute closed-source application.
With PyQt5 under GNU GPL v3,means you will need to publish the source code of your application.

If you are developing open-source software,it doesn't matter which one to use.
If thinking of distribute closed-source then need to go for Qt for Python.

Quote:What is the difference between:
pip install PyQt5 and
Pip install PyQt5-tools
PyQt5-tools has the Qt Designer and some other tool like converting .ui(files) and more.

Quote:They all install the design software
to help design the GUI ?
No only Qt Designer has GUI to help with design.
I do not use a Designer when writing GUI,also write code test look/functionally,then repeat.

Quote:I do this installation following your
steps by going to command line and which folder ?

What if there is proxy blockage ?
The all go to site-packages or Scripts folder(binary executable).
You need to look more into pip(package manager for Python).
Behind a proxy,pip has tool for this,or can copy over a wheel.
# Use proxy
pip install --proxy=https://user@mydomain:port pyqt5

# Use wheel
pip install PyQt5-5.13.0-5.13.0-cp35.cp36.cp37.cp38-none-win_amd64.whl
If use Windows can look at link under,see that i show how pip shall work.
Python 3.6/3.7 and pip installation under Windows
(Sep-11-2019, 05:59 AM)buran Wrote:
Johnse dateline="<a href="tel:1568173402">1568173402</a>' Wrote: Out of those which one is nice to know that can create professional GUI design
The feel and look of your GUI will depend on the framework you choose. These are just tools to help design/build your GUI (sort of WYSWYG editors). You can create the same GUI without using designer. Using designer often will end with more lines of code compared to when you write everything yourself. So don't confuse the designer tool and the framework. Here is extensive list of frameworks. There is also section GUI Design Tools and IDEs
(Sep-11-2019, 05:59 AM)buran Wrote:
Johnse dateline="<a href="tel:1568173402">1568173402</a>' Wrote: Out of those which one is nice to know that can create professional GUI design
The feel and look of your GUI will depend on the framework you choose. These are just tools to help design/build your GUI (sort of WYSWYG editors). You can create the same GUI without using designer. Using designer often will end with more lines of code compared to when you write everything yourself. So don't confuse the designer tool and the framework. Here is extensive list of frameworks. There is also section GUI Design Tools and IDEs

I still think is better we use a program to design it than to write the codes.

There are three that you mentioned are the best ones, pyQT, WxPython, and tkrinter.
And wxGlade ide is for WxPython what about tkrinter.

Can I download wxGlade, do you have a link, I want to give it a try, is it build in or we need to install it separately ?
(Sep-13-2019, 11:05 PM)Johnse Wrote: Can I download wxGlade, do you have a link, I want to give it a try, is it build in or we need to install it separately ?

the link is in my very first post - wxGlade
They have nice tutorial
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

There also wxFormBuilder(downloads) that work for wxPython.
A tutorial here.
MD Python is Windows only?
Yes, it is only compatible with Windows.