Python Forum
python zipfile.ZipFile makes zip file but can't add folders to them
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
python zipfile.ZipFile makes zip file but can't add folders to them
I'm trying to use zipfile.ZipFile to create a zip file based on folders in a main path and then send those folders to their respective zip files. The zip files are being created but when I try using write(input, 'a') nothing is added to the zip file:
    import zipfile as zp 
    import os

# main directory containing folders to be zipped and archived
    mDir =  r"P:\2018"

# ouput archive directory to conatin compressed zip files
    oDir = r" P:\2018\Archive"

# get list of folders to archive
    inlst = os.listdir(mDir)

# exclude the Archive folder from inlst
    inlst = inlst[1:]

# loop through the list of folders

for folder in inlst:
    	name = os.path.join(oDir, ("{0}{1}".format(folder,".zip")))
     	inP = os.path.join(mDir,folder)

# make a zip archive for each folder in mDir to go into the "Archive" folder

with zp.ZipFile(name,'w') as myzip:
    		myzip.write(inP)

# add current folder to current zip archive that was just creted in previous step

with zp.ZipFile(name,'a') as myzip:
    		myzip.write(inP)
I'm writing this to automate some house cleaning and save space without deleting anything in case we ever need to retrieve a folder. It's my first time working with zipfile so I'm sure I'm missing something. My thought was it works similar to open(file, 'w') as f, f.write("something") where I'm creating a new file with 'w' and then adding to it with 'a'.

Please tell what I'm missing so I can add the folders to the respective zip files or if I'm going at this the wrong way.
Is this join statement correct? (look like 'folder' should be replaced with 'name')
inP = os.path.join(mDir,folder)
yes. it is correct. i'm now getting a new error, however:

Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py", line 323, in RunScript debugger.run(codeObject, __main__.__dict__, start_stepping=0) File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\debugger\__init__.py", line 60, in run _GetCurrentDebugger().run(cmd, globals,locals, start_stepping) File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\pywin\debugger\debugger.py", line 654, in run exec cmd in globals, locals File "N:\Common\Script\Drivers\make_zips.py", line 1, in <module> import zipfile as zp File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\lib\zipfile.py", line 752, in __init__ self.fp = open(file, modeDict[mode]) IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('rb') or filename: ' P:\\2018\\Archive\\CO_001_Model.zip'
Thank you Buran. Is there away to edit my post so I could have included the traceback?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What a difference print() makes Mark17 2 517 Oct-20-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  zipfile module error pseudo 3 693 Jun-30-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  How do I add comments from a text-file to an array of folders? clausneergaard 2 1,735 Feb-08-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Tkinter + Multiprocessing startmap makes UI Freeze sunny9495 4 1,322 Nov-13-2022, 12:49 PM
Last Post: sunny9495
  python move folders and subfolders not working mg24 5 2,072 Nov-09-2022, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  [Solved by deanhystad] Create a zip file using zipfile library DZ_Galaxy 2 1,105 Aug-17-2022, 04:57 PM
Last Post: DZ_Galaxy
  Upgrade makes Code Error kucingkembar 6 2,969 Jul-28-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: kucingkembar
  Can ZipFile be used to extract hidden files? AiedailEclipsed 0 1,584 Mar-22-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: AiedailEclipsed
  Code to check folder and sub folders for new file and alert fioranosnake 2 1,874 Jan-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Created zipfile without all the subfolder? korenron 3 3,607 Jun-23-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: korenron