Python Forum
re module: want a regexhttps://python-forum.io/Thread-re-module-want-a-regex
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re module: want a regexhttps://python-forum.io/Thread-re-module-want-a-regex
a script i am working on will get a list of parameters to parse into parts. i am hoping re can do this for me but i am clueless how to make an appropriate regex. i can barely filter out .py files from a list of files.

each parameter is 3 decimal numbers each preceded with one of the characters "/" "@" or "+". the character in front identifies which number it is. for example, the number that follows "@" is the workspace number. for each parameter i need to get the 3 numbers (as 3 strings) identified with which character in front. for example i need to get the same results for "@1/2+3", "/2@1+3", "@1+3/2", "+3@1/2", "/2+3@1", and "+3/2@1". so it's more than just matching the pattern. it' associating various parts together in the right order. i think the match has to have a way to give a choice of any of the 3, each expressed with its leading character and which index it goes to, and do exactly 3 of them. but i don't know how to express this or how to be sure "@1@2/3" does not match (because "+" is missing). regex is a whole other language, harder than even lisp.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I would start with this
>>> pat = re.compile(r'([@/+]\d+(?:[.]\d*)?)')
>>> pat.findall('/2@3+4')
['/2', '@3', '+4']
I don't think it's a good idea to look for a one liner here. You can check that the list has 3 elements, you can convert the list into a dictionary {'@': '3', '/': '2', '+': '4'} and check again that the dict has 3 elements. Finally you can check that the string contains nothing else with pat.sub('', '/2@3+4') == ''
is there at least a way to test if the string is at least valid (has exactly one of each and has all three in any order) without getting the values. it's the test i want to in one line so i can put it in a if/elif stack. if not then i guess i have to put the test in a function.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
re.match returns a match object or None if the string doesn't match the pattern.

I don't think you should obsess about doing things in a single line.
doing conditionals in one line or at least one very long line is needed when doing a stack of elifs. of course you can generally encapsulate the test into a function and call it in one line. i just wish there was an easy way to code the actual test in one line, pass that to the function, and have the function do it ... inside a try/except.

that, or add something like the foo = expression1 if condition else expression2 to do try/except and return on expression or the other like foo = try expression1 except whatever expression2.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  importing a module given a path to the file Skaperen 8 1,198 Nov-04-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  where module is loaded from Skaperen 1 710 Jul-26-2023, 05:38 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  looking fo documentation for module files Skaperen 39 79,441 Aug-09-2022, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Mixed types of numeric data in the statistics module stevendaprano 2 1,269 May-23-2022, 02:15 AM
Last Post: stevendaprano
  a module can be found but another cannot Skaperen 7 2,631 Oct-25-2021, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Eric6 No module named 'serial' BvdP4Py 0 2,688 Jul-30-2021, 08:38 AM
Last Post: BvdP4Py
Lightbulb Feedback needed! Controlled entropy in programs with 'ordered' module grandrew 0 1,395 Jul-27-2021, 01:49 AM
Last Post: grandrew
  PIL module and Python 2.7 under Windows 10 Lad 3 2,105 Jul-06-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Lad
  visual studio code python how to get source code of import module definitian umen 2 3,865 Jun-13-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: umen
  finding a mismatched triple-quote in a huge module Skaperen 1 1,535 Apr-15-2020, 04:29 AM
Last Post: UGuntupalli