Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reST website
i am wanting to set up a website which lets me store contents in reST format but delivers the content in HTML format for URLs that do not have any file extension on them. this means there must be reST processing to convert to HTML happening when the page is requested, or delivery of cached contents of a previous conversion if the cache is newer than the reST file. i want to simply be able to upload reST contents to change the site. files with extensions are in their indicated format and if requested are delivered unchanged. is their any documentation on how to set this up? can it be done with Apache without any CGI?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
The usual thing to do in Python is use a web framework (Flask, Bottle, Django, ...) with a WSGI server to serve the HTML. For Apache, there's mod_wsgi and there are other WSGI servers like Gunicorn. I'm sure there are libraries to convert reST to HTML. Have you searched PyPI, GitHub, etc.? Also, where are you hosting this out of interest?
i don't want to build this, i want to find existing code, if it exists. i want to have the content sitting there ready to be converted on the fly. my sitting content is to be the reST content (and images, etc), no HTML. no pre-conversion.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Maybe someone has built a web app that does what you want. Again, did you try searching GitHub? If they haven't, the libraries are undoubtedly there to enable you to build it.
there is too much matching of REST(ful) API stuff going on.

Did you try "RST" then? You're going to need to filter the results somehow.
no, i did not try RST.

OK then.
lots of reStructuredText stuff. just documents and tutorials and no ready-to-go server software. it doesn't even have to be python. if i can get a string buffer of text processed rst->html i could add it to the server i already have. so i guess it's time to go read some docs.