Python Forum
reputation + like system
Poll: What to do with reputation system
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep both reputation system (with both positive and negative) and like system together.
26.67%
4 26.67%
Keep both reputation system (only positive) and like system together.
6.67%
1 6.67%
keep only like system and remove reputation system
26.67%
4 26.67%
Like the like system, Not sure about the Reputation system
33.33%
5 33.33%
Keep the reputation, remove the likes
0%
0 0%
keep only reputation system and remove Like system
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reputation + like system
I tend to use Like to indicate I approve of something that was said. I'll often use it in place of agreeing with a message. Reputation, I'm much more conservative with (other than a couple jokes since the forum is new). I have to feel that the poster's contribution is either unique or effortful. A Like, however, could just go to the first person to express an obvious or even trivial view.

I think the point about negative rep being used badly, or being difficult to use well anyway, is well-founded. But having likes and just >0 rep feels kinda weird. I'm also concerned about this forum devolving into SO. SO is great, and has its place, but the severe limitations on users has various negative results (maybe I'll write a blog post, off this site, about my personal experience with the differences).

I'm currently leaning toward, "let's keep both, and revisit IFF the negative rep has bad results."
(Oct-11-2016, 09:32 PM)micseydel Wrote: I'm currently leaning toward, "let's keep both, and revisit IFF the negative rep has bad results."
I guess we have to based on the fact that the undecided outweigh every other option.

(Oct-11-2016, 09:32 PM)micseydel Wrote: I'm also concerned about this forum devolving into SO.
What is SO?
Recommended Tutorials:
StackOverflow.
My signature is SO

(Oct-11-2016, 09:05 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: 1) what is the difference between the last two options?
Both me and metulburr Added the new option at the same time  :bonk:
How would this turn into stack overflow?

Doesnt their answers get categorized from most votes to the lowest votes per post? Also isnt their structure more of a "threaded mode" versus linear discussion?
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-11-2016, 09:39 PM)metulburr Wrote: I guess we have to based on the fact that the undecided outweigh every other option.

Not since I voted. :whistle:
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
My SO concern is about making things difficult for new community members.
Quote:Both me and metulburr Added the new option at the same time
lmao

Quote:My SO concern is about making things difficult for new community members.
in what way? How does the rep or like system effect that?
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-12-2016, 02:25 AM)metulburr Wrote: in what way? How does the rep or like system effect that?
You can't comment on questions or answers without 50 reputation, which is non-trivial to get. You get it by answering questions, but because you can't comment... your question-answering abilities are limited. They have a lot of rules, are draconian, unfriendly to new programmers, unfriendly to a lot of kinds of questions, and are generally in-groupy. Others have complained as well, with more or less overlap with my experience:
https://hackernoon.com/the-decline-of-st....b244e4l9p
https://sergworks.wordpress.com/2012/09/...low-sucks/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7650799

It's still an invaluable resource, but the negative rep thing is one of the crappy parts. Gave a bad answer once? Negative rep, bam. Not that it really helps the community since it's so easy to make new accounts, but it prevents people who otherwise could be contributors from being able to.
(Oct-12-2016, 07:04 AM)micseydel Wrote: You can't comment on questions or answers without 50 reputation
I dont see us as ever introducing this method. I would hate it.

Quote:it prevents people who otherwise could be contributors from being able to.
If x rep was required to even post...i could see where i cherish it. But since we would never condone that, rep seems more of "extra flair".

I am also confused as you voted for both pos and neg rep...but dont appear to like neg rep?
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Reputation and regular users to have the ability to create "Polls"? sparkz_alot 20 16,778 Oct-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Last Post: ichabod801