Python Forum
reputation + like system
Poll: What to do with reputation system
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep both reputation system (with both positive and negative) and like system together.
26.67%
4 26.67%
Keep both reputation system (only positive) and like system together.
6.67%
1 6.67%
keep only like system and remove reputation system
26.67%
4 26.67%
Like the like system, Not sure about the Reputation system
33.33%
5 33.33%
Keep the reputation, remove the likes
0%
0 0%
keep only reputation system and remove Like system
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reputation + like system
Personally, I don't like the neg rep. If one post a code that is not working or in some way "bad", this means nothing for me. We all are learning. Some may have more knowledge and experience than other but everyone started from somewhere. I am not afraid to make mistakes. I am welcome this as it helps me to learn faster and remember at once.
Negative or low reputation means "do not trust this guy" for me.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
The only time i have given neg rep is for one person that kept posting pictures of code...instead of copying code...even after i mentioned it numerous times. This drives me nuts.
Recommended Tutorials:
regarding rep and people not noticing...
On the mybb forums people seem to request that the OP give rep to the person that answered it. Even as much as going out and making a post after the thread question is solved. I find this quite odd. On the other hand though...i think people dont notice it and thus the reason they dont give out rep. The "like" is more natural due to everyone on facebook.
Recommended Tutorials:
I see not point in reputation system,when likes dos pretty much the same thing and almost all understand it right away.
Rep with positive and negative point have showed very clear that it don't work here(all forget to give Larz60+ any points).
Likes he got.
Just my thought about this.
My issue with negative rep is a theoretical concern about the long-term of this forum. I think we're probably going to be ok, could remove it if things were having issues. On SO, rep is just aggressively painful to deal with as a new person, and creates both bad incentives and unnecessary work.

The only time I gave negative rep so far was when someone wasn't really asking a question, was asked to repeatedly, and then was a jerk about it. I haven't been using it casually to punish people who make one bad first post.
Quote:I haven't been using it casually to punish people who make one bad first post.

I normally see warnings as a better alternative to a wrong first post. Regular users cannot give warnings...but they could report them, in which mods could then give a warning. Warnings go away at some point (assuming the mod that warned them made it that way). Rep does not. This seems like how it should be...as new users wont read the rules and know what to do as a result...but will learn over time here. Warning doesnt have to be a high point value....just enough to get their attention without making a separate post to address the issue. (although that is quite the habit from the old forum ;) ). 

I was thinking of changing the wording of "report" to something like "flag". As "report" sounds really bad. Whereas its more of a way to have regular users have a mod address a specific post. 

So this seems to make the rep system kind of moot (to me). 

The rep system is now in the core of MyBB. I dont think i would of installed it if it was not. The only time i see negative as productive is if a user consistently was aggressive...but not enough to ban him. Another time is those users that you ask to do something repeatedly and they never seem to do it.  I do like though the flip side...how you can comment on a post when you know a user put a lot of thought and time into a response to get the answer to the OP. 

Quote:On SO, rep is just aggressively painful to deal with as a new person
I know. i still cant post a question there because i dont have enough. And the few times i want to up it...when i scan for questions ...tehy usually get answered before i get there. Its a catch 22.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Reputation and regular users to have the ability to create "Polls"? sparkz_alot 20 16,778 Oct-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Last Post: ichabod801