Python Forum
run python in commands easier
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
run python in commands easier
this is the code designed for a unix/linux interactive shell. i have no way to try it on windows. so i have no way to know if it could work in the windows command line.

px.py:
#!/usr/bin/env python3
import os,sys
if len(sys.argv)>1:os.execvp('/usr/bin/env',['env','python3','-c','\n'.join(sys.argv[1:])])
that's it! just 3 lines! do whatever your system needs done to make it be an executable command. i made mine be the command "px" in /usr/local/bin/px. so now you can write python code at the command line, even in pipelines. this is the kind of thing i have used awk for, for the past 3 decades. now i can do it in python. you could already do this with the -c option on the python command. but you had to put a real newline in the argument string after each line but the last. this 3 line code does it for you. just put each line of code to run in your command in a separate argument. and don't forget indentation. python still uses it, even this way.

here is a sample that duplicates lines (a rather silly goal) and then has cat number them:

ls -l /etc|px 'import sys' 'for x in sys.stdin:' ' print(x+x,end="")'|cat -n
you can figure out what you could use it for. i used it a short while ago to split a list of files by the '/' character and extract the 3rd component directory to be piped to a command that counts them up a reports how many of each it saw. i probably could have done it another way, but doing it with python feels better, now.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.