Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
running two python scripts
Hello,

I am trying to have two python scripts running where one pauses the other. Both scripts do some socket communication (one reads and one writes)

read.py runs continously in the background with a 60 second sleep after each run.
write.py will be run by user interaction/click on a webpage.

These two cannot run at the same time (comm errors). So write.py will need to pause read.py, run, then reactivate write.py.
I am probably looking into this the wrong way. But how would write.py fetch the process of read.py?

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Per
This sounds like a simple sort of 'Distributed agreement' (in Distributed software design)
I say simple, but the process of managing is not simple.

One way this can be achieved is by inserting a process called a dispatcher into the system. Think of it as a process like
the dispatcher of an emergency center, or a cab company.
The job of the dispatcher is to keep track of all 'courier' processes, and to dispatch, and monitor, time slots,
for each:
Example:
  • Task 1 asks dispatcher for permission to communicate with task3.
  • Dispatcher knows that this task cannot be done concurrently, and that Task 3 is busy.
  • It sends Task 1 a message that says 'Not now'
  • A bit later, task 1 asks for permission again
  • Task 3 is free, so dispatcher gives the OK, but indicates that Task1 must report back when the task is complete.
  • The dispatcher also issues an allotted amount of time in which to finish the task.
  • Once task 1 has been notified, dispatcher starts a timer for that task.
  • if task 1 reports back before that timer times out, dispatcher stops the timer and marks task 3 as being available to other users.
  • If task 1 doesn't report back in the allotted time, the dispatcher will attempt to contact task 3 and ask if busy. If it does not get a response within an allotted time (from the 'are you busy' request), it will assume that something is wrong with task 3 and will reinitialize the task 3 process (make it ready to receive requests, reboot or reset).
  • Task 3 may be able to handle more than one task at a time if so, task 1 may be allowed to go on without notification of completion.
  • and so on.

In order to learn how to do this sort of thing, google for 'Distributed Software Design, Challenges and solutions'
and/or 'distributed agreements'.

For example: http://help.callassoftware.com/m/62791/l...processing
or: https://www.embedded.com/design/prototyp...-Solutions

first one uses commercial software, but has good explanation

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to us python.exe from our network to run scripts cubangt 3 827 Aug-17-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Running python scripts from github etc pacmyc 7 3,609 Mar-03-2021, 10:26 PM
Last Post: pacmyc
  Running scripts and location of saved interpreted user-defined classes and functions leodavinci1990 3 2,468 Aug-25-2020, 03:43 AM
Last Post: micseydel
  Reading SQL scripts from excel file and run it using python saravanatn 2 2,460 Aug-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Last Post: saravanatn
  No Scripts File present after python installation ag2207 5 4,769 Jul-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Last Post: buran
  Running two scripts and more.... Brian_c 0 1,482 Mar-25-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Brian_c
  How to merge my two python scripts in one ? HK2432 0 2,113 Jan-31-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: HK2432
  How can I Open and close .py file from python scripts SayHiii 9 5,625 Dec-17-2019, 06:10 AM
Last Post: Malt
  autostart python scripts in background (Windows10) john36 4 7,576 Oct-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Last Post: john36
  Run macros of excel sheet from python scripts shubhamjainj 3 10,363 May-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Last Post: buran