Python Forum
scipy interp2d doesn't work
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scipy interp2d doesn't work
Hello everybody. I have a .txt file in which a grid of X and Y points and values of f(X, Y) in said grid are constructed as columns. I am trying to program the Shannon Interpolation. For that I need to do the regular interpolation on the grid. To do it, first I construc three lists of values as

f = open('XdataTXT.txt','r')
linesX=f.readlines()
X_column_number = 0
positionX=[]
Y_column_number = 1
positionY=[]
WindX_column_number=2
windX=[]
for x in linesX:
    positionX.append(float(x.split()[X_column_number]))
    positionY.append(float(x.split()[Y_column_number]))
    windX.append(float(x.split()[WindX_column_number]))
f.close()
Then I try to do the regular interpolation as defined here

windXInterpFunc = interpolate.interp2d(positionX, positionY, windX, kind='cubic')
However, when I run this, python just keeps running without finishing, doesn't matter how long I leave the program running.
Can someone assist me?

Regards.

EDIT: I have tested with a smaller set of points and the program runs well enough. Therefore my issue is not a syntax one, but the fact that I am using plenty of points. I would need a way to speed up my process.
Loops are slow in Python, so I need to clarify, does it hang when you call interp2d, or it hangs when you fill your arrays positionX and positionY?
(Feb-04-2020, 08:43 AM)player1681 Wrote: Hello everybody. I have a .txt file in which a grid of X and Y points and values of f(X, Y) in said grid are constructed as columns. I am trying to program the Shannon Interpolation. For that I need to do the regular interpolation on the grid. To do it, first I construc three lists of values as

linesX=f.readlines()
X_column_number = 0
positionX=[]
Y_column_number = 1
positionY=[]
WindX_column_number=2
windX=[]
for x in linesX:
f.close()

windXInterpFunc = interpolate.interp2d(positionX, positionY, windX, kind='cubic')
However, when I run this, python just keeps running without finishing, doesn't matter how long I leave the program running.
Can someone assist me?

Regards.

EDIT: I have tested with a smaller set of points and the program runs well enough. Therefore my issue is not a syntax one, but the fact that I am using plenty of points. I would need a way to speed up my process.

It hangs on the interpolate.interp2d. The loop is almost instantaneous.

I cannot upload the text file to make it easier for you to because it is too large.
I don't think it will be easy to improve performance of interp2d. It is already written in C (fitpackmodule.c). However, you can try to estimate the time you need to get all work done. You can pass PositionX[:100], PositionX[:1000], PositionX[:10000] and measure the time required for computations. Finally, you can extrapolate the result for the entire dataset.
(Feb-05-2020, 01:06 AM)scidam Wrote: Loops are slow in Python, so I need to clarify, does it hang when you call interp2d, or it hangs when you fill your arrays positionX and positionY?

(Feb-05-2020, 08:23 AM)player1681 Wrote:
(Feb-04-2020, 08:43 AM)player1681 Wrote: Hello everybody. I have a .txt file in which a grid of X and Y points and values of f(X, Y) in said grid are constructed as columns. I am trying to program the Shannon Interpolation. For that I need to do the regular interpolation on the grid. To do it, first I construc three lists of values as

linesX=f.readlines()
X_column_number = 0
positionX=[]
Y_column_number = 1
positionY=[]
WindX_column_number=2
windX=[]
for x in linesX:
f.close()

Can someone assist me?

Regards.

It hangs on the interpolate.interp2d. The loop is almost instantaneous.

I cannot upload the text file to make it easier for you to because it is too large.

(Feb-05-2020, 09:40 AM)scidam Wrote: I don't think it will be easy to improve performance of interp2d. It is already written in C (fitpackmodule.c). However, you can try to estimate the time you need to get all work done. You can pass PositionX[:100], PositionX[:1000], PositionX[:10000] and measure the time required for computations. Finally, you can extrapolate the result for the entire dataset.

Very well. I will try to estimate the time and perhaps let the program run during the weekend. Thanks for your advice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Convolution "same" in Python doesn't work as Matlab claw91 4 3,682 Oct-01-2020, 08:59 AM
Last Post: claw91
  Numpy doesn't work in Spyder 4.1.3 player1681 1 2,103 Jun-02-2020, 11:26 AM
Last Post: jefsummers
  interp2d casting ruled not 'safe' sebseb 0 1,826 Jul-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: sebseb
  cx_Freeze doesn't seem to work owenwalker65 7 16,745 Dec-07-2017, 02:23 AM
Last Post: issac_n
  Matplotlib Doesn't Work Ian12290 6 13,134 Feb-28-2017, 06:18 AM
Last Post: buran