Python Forum
server reset loss data ~2 hours
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
server reset loss data ~2 hours
Reset server to ~2 hours ago due to messing up the server trying to get the mail server to work.

This means that new users who created an account within the past 2 hours need to create an account again, and repost their initial post.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Recommended Tutorials:
It can be smart to take a snapshot just before doing stuff that can mess with serverĀ Wink
But you have good control as several snapshots is taken each day.
That would seem like common sense.

Sorry
Recommended Tutorials:
Please do take that kind of precaution next time... I was on a pre-bedtime answering streak right during those 2 hours :D Also I saw good posts/questions made by folks, so sorry to you all.
Sorry. I usually try to do it during a time that no one is on, but lately seems to be a lot more people on the forum than before. Its almost impossible to select a time when no one would be on.

in my defense though i spent like 8 hours yesterday dicking with the server regarding the email and i still havent gotten it working right. At any point in time there could of been things messed up throughout the entire day yesterday. I know i disabled email on and off switching back and forth from PHP mail to SMTP.

The only alternative to making sure there is no data loss whatsoever is to shut the board down while doing maintenance. But that is a long unkown amount of time. This is what most other sites do...but they do it at like 2AM EST-ish. I can tell you right now, that i am not going to be up that late.

I would prefer to keep the board open up while doing maintenance. As i often take like a week or so to do stuff here and there.

Bonkself ....Or i could switch the snapshot loop to every 30 or 60 minutes while im dicking with the server? Idea

Or i can put up a banner saying im doing maintenance. This might indicate that i might have to back peddle to a previous snapshot and if you post something long you can archive it.

Sorry i apologize again.
Recommended Tutorials:
Thanks for wrestling with the server and trying to get emails working, I can't imagine the efforts and patience required for that. Honestly data loss just caused me a slight frustration, which I had to let out, and it was not directed towards anyone personally :D Putting the site down for maintenance every now and then sounds like a good compromise to me btw.
sorry. Ill make sure to let everyone know...and to make a lot of snapshots next time.
Recommended Tutorials:
How about putting a banner up on the website for the duration of that time?
And potentially also warning when someone clicks "Post Thread" or "New Reply", before he/she even starts writing.

Edit: Looks good :)
(Dec-11-2017, 12:59 PM)metulburr Wrote: switch the snapshot loop to every 30 or 60 minutes
I think that's a good idea, along with the banner saying, "maintenance in progress, no anticipated issues but blah blah blah".

I definitely appreciate your efforts, and am glad we have a positive culture here than can encourage better process without blamingĀ  :)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  indentation loss metulburr 52 23,080 Jan-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Last Post: snippsat