Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
socket programming
Hi,

I want some help and suggestions on how to start.
I want to develop a simple command line interface tool. This tool should run as a separate process possibly on different machine. The arguments I enter in the command line tool has to be passed to my another application running again on some other machine. How to make the tool interact with my application? How to receive the commands from this external tool to my application? Can I achieve this using Socket programming?

Thanks
Using sockets would be the best way to go. Not only could you code both the client and the server using Python, but you could also use other programming languages - on either end of the connection - if and as desired.

The startup problem with using sockets is that there can be a rather steep learning curve. One should be prepared to spend at least a day in the 'google. Try to get a grasp of the connective model (listen, fork. bind, attach) then enjoy how Python makes it ALLOT easier to set up both a client and a server.

Cutting to the code (i.e. assuming that you are comfortable with how sockets work (binding, hops, TCP/IP -v- TCP/UDP, etc), here is a decent starting point on how to use Python 3 to get things done.
Thank you so much. Will try with socket programming.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  socket programming ConnectionRefusedError error srm 3 12,799 May-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Last Post: LavaCreeperKing
  socket programming (browser) kunz 8 5,199 Dec-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Last Post: siripriya
  Python Socket programming with packets sourabhjaiswal92 1 4,093 Sep-18-2018, 06:24 AM
Last Post: martingever