Python Forum
[split] Debate on Python versus VBnet
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Debate on Python versus VBnet
Python looks ok. VBnet looks ok. I know about 10 languages, but just starting Python. I see people having a lot of trouble with it. People say it is easy to read and concise. Maybe. It looks hard to read to me, though it has the enforced indenting, which reminds me of PROMAL, which was great. Dead now. But the popularity poll of languages shows Python way up there, but my absolute fave is not even on the list!!! Forth ! The most awesome language ever dreamed up. This is an interesting thread, but really folks, we have to agree that each language has its advantages and disadvantages. And VBnet is easy to read. What is easy to read is how well you know a language. A long time ago I knew a guy who could read 6502 hex dumps just like reading a book. Now, if you think this paragraph is linguistic spaghetti code, vote it up.
I have discussed Forth in the past, used it for a few years while creating a scanning plasma monochrometer.
It is indeed a great language, with one caveat, and most likely why it didn't survive, and that was the extendable
compiler (create does), and certainly not easy to read: The old bumper sticker was: 'Forth love if honk then'. All of
us who were used to the HP calculator loved it, and although I never read this, Charles Moore probably used one before
he created the language (I believe it was for the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Charlottesville, Va).

The most notable thing about the language is that the base OS, compiler, assembles and everything needed to use ran in 8K
of memory!
The OP was a necro on https://python-forum.io/Thread-Debate-on...rsus-VBnet
I've split it and the next reply out here, and locked the original thread.
Forth can be hard to read, or it can read like English if you plan carefully. and is easy to figure out if you're used to it. And it's not as hard to read as Lisp. I've done large-scale Windows desktop apps with Forth !! And, as an aside, somebody on this forum was trying to use Python to format numbers a special way (make 3360 look like b’\x0D\x20′) and couldn't figure it out. Neither could I. But here it is in a Forth word I wrote to test it. No extra libraries needed, no includes, no docs to pour over:

: >HEXF ( n — addr cnt )
BASE @ >R HEX 0
<# ”’ HOLD # # ‘x’
HOLD ‘\’ HOLD # # ‘x’
HOLD ‘\’ HOLD ”’
HOLD ‘b’ HOLD #>
R> BASE !
;

\ run and output:

3360 >HEXF CR TYPE

b’\x0D\x20′

I'm not saying Forth is better or anything... I just wanted to share in case anybody was interested in the 'Forth' discussion branch here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate on Python versus VBnet RandoomDude 17 10,098 May-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Last Post: micseydel