Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] swearing
I personally don't like calling something shit; neither I would use the F word - but I think looking for a fault with something like no shit (which, may I remind native English speakers, is an idiom) or RTFM is overly prudish.

As someone serving ( Pray blessedly) my last term as a teenager's parent, I can testify that kids get exposed to foul language at a rather early age  Sad - filters or not. Facts of life. Watching e.g. "Grown-ups" (hate this movie  Evil , my teenage son adores it ) exposes them to much more vulgarity that occasional no shit.

We are not in Victorian England anymore, you know  Naughty.
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
to me that sounds more like we should let people swear unless they are quite offensive. But then you have an invisible line that no one knows when they've crossed.
Recommended Tutorials:
(May-01-2017, 11:10 AM)metulburr Wrote: But then you have an invisible line that no one knows when they've crossed.
Just like in real life.
(May-01-2017, 11:12 AM)Mekire Wrote: Just like in real life.

Where i come from it is not acceptable to swear at all. If i slip in a store, i will often hear a parent say "there are children present...can you please watch your language".
Recommended Tutorials:
Well, certainly not like that here. Swearing is a pretty standard part of how most people speak. Of course depending on situation or environment. I worked with preschoolers for many years so needed to be able to turn on and off my language patterns.
Quote:Well, certainly not like that here. Swearing is a pretty standard part of how most people speak.
I tolerate it, but rarely use it myself.
I use to have a mouth of a sailor, especially working in construction, until i had kids. I attempt to watch myself, but it is so engrained.

I think there should be a fine line here, just not sure where that is based on all team members opinions vary widely about the topic.
Recommended Tutorials:
you sound like my brother
when I worked in Great Britain (Birmingham), I picked up the habit of using 'bugger'.
When I had been back home for a few months, my (then 3 yr old) son
was playing with some trucks and I overheard 'bloody bugger'.