Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the AI takeover ?
(Nov-26-2018, 11:55 PM)Truman Wrote: Thinking about 20 years ago when I was 12...if I'm not mistaken AI development existed back in those days too. And Deep Blue defeated Kasparov. So for these 20 years ( 1998-2018 ) we didn't have so many dramatical changes and I don't think we'll have in next 20. The only thing that scares me a bit are climate changes.
So...let's see what will happen. See you on this topic in 20 years!

There is a big difference now. Back in the days only a big organization or university could afford developing an AI. Now you can do it in your home. You can buy Lenovo P72 maximize the RAM and go experimenting.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thi...2WS2WPWP72
Nice, costs only about 2100 euros. :D
I have no doubt that you're right about developing AI from home but still there is a question if it's going to bring dramatical changes or not. I would say - no. For now on the biggest change that I'm familiar with is that one big organization was able to make Alpha Zero ( chess AI ) that is much stronger than a standard chess engine by developing an algorithm that can learn by itself from its own mistakes. But still...it's not going to help to solve the world problems. We're still far from those SF movies where AI can think independently and something tells me that it won't change much 20 years from now.
(Oct-21-2018, 03:29 PM)TrueStudentOfPython Wrote: Hello all,

Is anyone concerned about what the next 20 years of programming looks like with A.I. in the picture ? Do you feel like there will be a massive loss of jobs ? Tell me yours thoughts :)

# LONG LIVE PYTHON

I think that Guido has nailed it very well in his recent blogpost:

Quote:[The question here was about whether AI would make human software developers redundant, not about what I think of the field of AI as a career choice]
Regarding AI, I'm not worried at all. The field is focused on automating boring, repetitive tasks like driving a car or recognizing faces, which humans can learn to do easily but find boring if they have to do it all the time. The field of software engineering is never boring, since as soon as a task is repetitive, you automate it, and you start solving new problems.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
(Oct-22-2018, 01:18 AM)metulburr Wrote: I have a dark opinion of the world. Overpopulation, mass shootings, nuclear war, asteroid collision, human extinction, etc. Robots taking some jobs seems to be able to adjust itself out compared to the others. And its something that you are I cannot change, so there is no sense in raising your blood pressure about it.

Be with force! Don't let dark side to take over.

Some unsolicited bits and bites:

overpopulation - Earth population will stabilise at 10 bln. It's not belief, it's called statistics. Hans Rosling TED presentation: Religion and babies. At 10:40 there is simple yet powerful explanation why population of earth is still growing although childbirth peaked some time ago.

mass shooting - loss of life is tragedy. According to statistics there are 323 of victims of mass shootings in US in 2018 (https://www.gunviolencearchive.org). On the other hand from wikipedia we can learn: "There were 19,392 firearm-related suicides in the U.S. in 2010.[10] The U.S. Department of Justice reports that approximately 60% of all adult firearm deaths are by suicide, 61% more than deaths by homicide." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violen...ted_States). There were 37,133 motor vehicle deaths in 2017 and about 2,000 children under 16 die every year in traffic collisions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehi...S._by_year). Mass shootings are terrible and challenge to our society. However, if our aim is to save as much lives as possible what must worry us the most?

nuclear war - there has been no nuclear war (only one nuclear strike). If we would ask AI about probability of nuclear war the answer would probably be along those lines: "probability is too low to calculate". Why? The artificial intelligence systems of today learn from data – they learn only from data. An object classification system cannot recognize an object it has not been told about during training. The machines trained with today’s technology will not figure out on their own that ice is frozen water. They cannot predict when nuclear arsenals will lead to nuclear war.

asteroid collision - there are simple yet effective ways to prevent fate of dinosaurs. Have a look to this TED talk: How to defend Earth from asteroids (if you don't have enough time to spare, just look at last 4 minutes or so)

I also struggle with dark side quite often. My medicine is to check data to find out whether my fears have solid foundation or not. This however more often than not leads to finding even bigger worries...
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
Read this: http://www.aei.org/publication/18-specta...this-year/
i've still yet to see any examples of what the data looks when a machine has learned something.

as we move from making CPUs faster and faster (and slowing the rate as we hit a fuzzy limit) to more and more parallel processing ("the network is the computer") we will be approaching what i think will make AI work better ... what the Google search is becoming.

and i look forward to cars with no steering wheel ... cars that will be our designated driver. and no more driving the kids to school (if we still have those). and my blind friends will be able to travel on their own. will we even have driving licenses anymore?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Quote: i've still yet to see any examples of what the data looks when a machine has learned something.
This is something that you may have to let go of.
With real AI, you may not be able to easily view the data, you'll just have to accept results.
That's the quandary of real Intelligence. Just like you can't see the data inside someone's head!
(Nov-28-2018, 08:52 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: With real AI, you may not be able to easily view the data, you'll just have to accept results.

I have to agree with this. The top Backgammon programs are just neural nets. There's no way for a human to understand how the weights of the edges in the network translate to a backgammon strategy.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I share @metulburr's opinion. So-called AI will be used to control and suppress the people. It's already happening.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org