Python Forum
the profusion of Python 2 questions offsite
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the profusion of Python 2 questions offsite
I browse some learner sites other than this one, and have seen far too many questions about Python2 syntax/implementations/etc.

I think the culprit is a few older teaching books aimed at people who don't want to be programmers, just to learn a little bit of Python and a few easy snippets they can use in the course of their regular work, which has little to do with programming but can be made easier with simple Python scripts.

People searching for help for their specific problem find these Python2 books and get drawn into learning Python2, so they end up asking questions that make no sense in terms of Python3. It's a lot of busywork for the experienced people trying to help them because it fills their responses with boilerplate about Python2 being deprecated by the maintainers, the differences between Python2 and Python3, etc.
i will be glad in 2020 if they decided to wipe python 2 off. Then we can just say python2 is depreciated.

However there will still be people that use python2.x in business/schools way after 2020. Think about when you go to a grocery store, they are still using hardware and software built in the 90's. python2.x came out almost 20 years ago, so there is a lot of people using python2.x and a lot of content online about python2.x. Python3.x was a large hurdle for python to overcome but a lot of people have made the jump. And by people doing that, they make new tutorials, content online, and put up posters on old content saying its outdated, etc. As people utilize python3.x more, Google queries will return more python3.x content as they are newer and active more than the older content.
Recommended Tutorials:
It will be like this for a long time software are slow to change.
What the Python as community do advice has been much clearer i the last couple of year,we do not advice use of Python 2 anymore.
There are of course people that not so updated and will use learn Python 2.

On this forum we have a very clear profile,all post with Python 2 code we advice to use Python 3.
It also helps that big framework like Django,drop all Python 2 support in there new Django 2.0 release.
Quote:Django 2.0 supports Python 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6. We highly recommend and only officially support the latest release of each series.
Requests look at the yellow banner.
Quote:The use of Python 3 is highly preferred over Python 2.
Consider upgrading your applications and infrastructure if you find yourself still using Python 2 in production today.
If you are using Python 3, congratulations — you are indeed a person of excellent taste. —Kenneth Reitz
Here are some arguments: PEP 373 and PEP 404. Also the end of python 2 support for scientific python projects. My search engine found a nice python 2 countdown! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about Python executable and security ironfelix717 2 2,468 Jan-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  migrating from R to Python: specific questions pth1123 1 2,890 Apr-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Python Challenge online - 30 Questions JulienC 1 2,840 Mar-02-2018, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Skaperen