Python Forum
too many packages to choose from
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
too many packages to choose from
what i expect to most often look for is a package for is one that has a desired API component. in most cases, more popular packages would be of interest even if the API calls have to be changed around a bit, because the popular packages tend to have better community help/support. so what i am interested in finding is multiple lists of popular packages, with descriptions, at various thresholds of popularity. another list that would be interesting is a list of API interface symbol names (functions, literated vales) and for each, which package they are in. what i want to avoid is repeating the steps of downloading a package and reading its documentation to see what it has.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
the new PyPi does this to a great degree. You can select by many different filters,
Framework, Topic, Development Status, License, Programming Language, OS, Environment, Intended Audience, and Natural Language
Each of these can further be filtered by sub categories of which you can choose as many or as few as you wish, and finally you can order by relevance or date of last update.

They removed download stats for the following reasons:

Output:
There are numerous reasons for their removal/deprecation some of which are: Technically hard to make work with the new CDN The CDN is being donated to the PSF, and the donated tier does not offer any form of log access The work around for not having log access would greatly reduce the utility of the CDN Highly inaccurate A number of things prevent the download counts from being inaccurate, some of which include: pip download cache Internal or unofficial mirrors Packages not hosted on PyPI (for comparisons sake) Mirrors or unofficial grab scripts causing inflated counts (Last I looked 25% of the downloads were from a known mirroring script). Not particularly useful Just because a project has been downloaded a lot doesn't mean it's good Similarly just because a project hasn't been downloaded a lot doesn't mean it's bad
download stats can be wrong. popularity is a very subjective measure. how do we measure the true popularity of python versus java or perl, for example. but the information i need is not just things like the package category, which i do want, but details at the API level of the package. let's start with how many functions does it have that the developer(s) expect user developers to code calls to? things like "does it support IPv6" could be at a higher level. for something that converts times to strings (maybe by calling something else for that) does it support caller provided time formats? this all can get wild and crazy.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Quote:how do we measure the true popularity of python versus java or perl
Why?
You'll spend a lot of time on information most people wouldn't buy you a cup of coffee for.
Quote:but the information i need is not just things like the package category, which i do want, but details at the API level of the package
Do you really need this information, or have you just convinced yourself that you do?

Quote:this all can get wild and crazy.
I can see that, so why bother!
(May-28-2018, 04:07 AM)Skaperen Wrote: how do we measure the true popularity of python versus java or perl, for example
There are sevral ways like GitHut 2.0.
The Incredible Growth of Python

The trend is pretty clear with Python and JavaScript is used a lot.
JavaScript has an advantage because it's the langunge used in Browser.
Python dos well in most categories.
To mention some that has a part of this The rise of Data Science/(Pandas,Numpy..ect)/Machine Learning/Deep Learning.
Found pepy.tech is a site which aim is to show statistics information about the Python packages.
GitGub pepy.
If show for now many time a package is downloaded,so for Requests Downloaded 252.86 Millon.

Maybe more useful as i posted before sites that gives a better overview of the most known modules/Packages.
Awesome Python
Awesomo
it's the info about popularity of PyPi packages that i want, not about python vs. java. i just brought that up to describe the difficulty of this.

(May-28-2018, 12:41 PM)snippsat Wrote: JavaScript has an advantage because it's the langunge used in Browser.

Brython seemed to do pretty well on top of Javascript.

(May-28-2018, 01:39 PM)snippsat Wrote: Found pepy.tech is a site which aim is to show statistics information about the Python packages.
it only lets me get the stats of one package at a time. i want this info about the top 100 packages so i might need to get the info about all 100000+ packages.