Python Forum
ubuntu video problems
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ubuntu video problems
I have been running Ubuntu 14 on two Dell monitors for a year - no problems.. A few days ago my monitors both showed only a scrambled pattern of lines. Yesterday I switched hard drives and installed Ubuntu 16 (just for the heck of it since I wanted to try 16 anyway).  Everything seemed fine. Today it looks like the same problem just re-appeared. Just wondering- can this mean overheating of something or video card or what. Once it happens ( appears intermittent) I would not be able to run any diagnostics (?)

At the moment all is well but who knows when problem may reappear.

Any ideas.
Quote:my monitors both showed only a scrambled pattern of lines.
have you tried different monitors? Ive had capacitors burn out on monitors before causing hard to diagnose problems like this.
Recommended Tutorials:
Hello!
It is a hardware problem. Check for burned or cracked components on video adapter. Since you have same problem on both monitors.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Sorry for late reply but thanks. I did replace the video card and then my system worked with Ubuntu 16. In fact, since this reply is so tardy I can report that 16 has been running for about two years and soon it will be on to 18!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  more on the ubuntu/pypi packaging problems Skaperen 1 1,979 Aug-30-2018, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Skaperen