Python Forum
unable to locate package - pandas datareader
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
unable to locate package - pandas datareader
Hi I'm new to the world of programming and I am really under pressure to learn python at the moment for a mature student college course. So im looking for help on how to get python pandas installed on ubuntu 16.04, specifically pandas datareader. I might need more help later too, to get my head around this. I have no programming experience and very little linux experience.

I'm doing the basic introduction on python and stuck on the second part.

import pandas_datareader.data as web

https://pythonprogramming.net/data-analy...roduction/

I've visited https://github.com/pydata/pandas-datareader but do not know what to do after this part, do I need to download something else.

Quote:import pandas.io.data as web
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pandas/io/data.py:33: FutureWarning:
The pandas.io.data module is moved to a separate package (pandas-datareader) and will be removed from pandas in a future version.
After installing the pandas-datareader package (https://github.com/pydata/pandas-datareader), you can change the import from pandas.io import data, wb to from pandas_datareader import data, wb.
FutureWarning)
(Apr-11-2018, 08:39 PM)Grin Wrote: and very little linux experience
Python works fine on Windows. If it's easier to learn one thing at a time, you don't have to be on linux.

For the datareader, you can install it with pip install pandas-datareader.
It's just a change of import in newer version.
So after Pandas 0.19.0,it's from pandas_datareader import data, wb
Test.
G:\Anaconda3
λ python -m ptpython
>>> import pandas as pd

>>> pd.__version__
'0.22.0'

# So i have newest version,then this is correct
>>> from pandas_datareader import data, wb

# Old import not do use,if not get message upgrade Pandas
>>> from pandas.io import data, wb
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "G:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pandas\io\data.py", line 2, in <module>
    "The pandas.io.data module is moved to a separate package "
you can change the import ``from pandas.io import data, wb`` to ``from pandas_datareader import data, wb``.
Thanks for the replies, im stuck on Linux for no reason other than the cost to upgrade my machine (broke dad to 3 lovely kids), so to get a bit more mph I installed Ubuntu on my old windows desktop. It works great but it is another thing to get my head around I guess.. So I successfully installed pycharm and will hopefully be using that later down the road, I'm almost there with pandas with the help from you guys.

Apart from the link I supplied is there any specific data mining tutorials I should be looking at or books to read (download). I'm looking to get scatter plots and charts out of sample datasets, ie insurance datasets so that's my main concern now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I use bounding box to locate a table in a pdf file? JaneTan 1 2,450 Sep-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  pandas DataReader error on all data sources glidecode 5 18,058 Sep-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  question on pandas datareader kit12_31 3 9,158 Feb-05-2018, 11:55 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  1 I cant read many stocks(list) with pandas-datareader from yahoo Davidii111 1 4,908 Dec-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  [split] Locate and open csv file agocomp 3 3,352 Dec-02-2017, 07:02 AM
Last Post: buran
  Error with web.DataReader rakhmadiev 1 5,947 Jun-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Larz60+