Python Forum
updating to pyqt5
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updating to pyqt5
Hey so I need some help updating to pyqt5. I got a new computer and installed pyqt5 using pip. On my old computer I had pyqt4 and I installed it using an installer. The problem is that now my pyqt4 code does not work and I need to update it, but the install with pip did not come with any examples or a designer. So firts how do I get the designer for pyqt5? I tried to install it using pip install PyQt5Designer and it installed but when I try to run it I gat an error: the application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. What do I do? how can I get the designer? If I can get the designer that will help me fix some of my problems and help me with some projects I want to do, but without it I am stuck.
This following links might be useful
Differences Between PyQt4 and PyQt5
Installing PyQt5 Designer
I tried looking at the link for installing the designer, but I didn't understand. All that was for python 3.6 I have python 3.7 32bit(That is the only installer I saw on the python website. My computer is 64bit though)and PyQt5 5.12.2. Does that have anything to do with the problem? Did I do something wrong when trying to install the designer? The version of the designer is 5.10.1 is it not compatible?

UPDATE: I just saw a youtube video for installing the designer with the command pip install pyqt5-tools I used pip install PyQt5Designer. maybe if I try it with the other command it might work. But how do I unistall the designer I tried to install with the first command that does not work?
It is my understanding that pip install pyqt5 is required for running applications, while pip install pyqt5-tools is dev tools such as PyQy5 Designer.

pip uninstall PyQt5Designer
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jun-30-2019, 09:08 PM)metulburr Wrote: It is my understanding that pip install pyqt5 is required for running applications, while pip install pyqt5-tools is dev tools such as PyQy5 Designer.

pip uninstall PyQt5Designer

Thank you very much! It worked. It downgraded the pyqt version but I don't think that will be a problem. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Huge code problems (buttons(PyQt5),PyQt5 Threads, Windows etc) ZenWoR 0 2,785 Apr-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: ZenWoR
  Updating Python version from command prompt and Conversion from PyQt4 to PyQt5 Vysero 4 4,887 Jul-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Vysero