Bottom Page

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 weird result trying to remove numbers from a list
I'm trying to remove all the numbers from a list, but when I run the code, I get a strange result:

nums = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
words = ["I", "sing", "of", "arms", "and", "a", "man"]
both = nums + words

for each in both:
    if each in range(1000):
        both.remove(each)

print(both)
Output:
[2, 4, 'I', 'sing', 'of', 'arms', 'and', 'a', 'man'] Process finished with exit code 0
What are the 2 and 4 still there?
You are modifying a list that you are looping through. Here's an idea of what is happening:
  • Start at position 0 with value 1
  • Remove element at position 0, all following elements are shifted back by one
  • Continue at position 1 with value 3 (you skipped over 2)
  • Remove element at position 1, all following elements...
  • Continue at position 2 with value 5 (you skipped over 4)
  • Remove element at position 2, ...
  • All following elements are preserved because they do not meet the if test.
One solution is to create an empty list and append to it all elements that you would not remove from the original list:
both = nums + words
new_list = []

for each in both:
    if each not in range(1000):
        new_list.append(each)
I haven't tested this but it should do the trick.
Malt likes this post
I would approach it this way:

Take away ambiguity: 'number' is integer.

Make a plan. In spoken language: "give me items in list which are not integers".

Find the pieces:

- iterate over elements: use for-loop
- test whether element is integer: use built-in functions isinstance()
- wrap it into list comprehension

>>> lst = [1, 'one', 2, 'two']
>>> no_ints = [item for item in lst if not isinstance(item, int)]
>>> no_ints
['one', 'two'] 
EDIT: if 'number' is both integers and floats then element testing should be isinstance(item, (int, float))
Exsul likes this post
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
The solution turned out to be fairly simple. From the official documentation:

Quote:If you need to modify the sequence you are iterating over while inside the loop (for example to duplicate selected items), it is recommended that you first make a copy. Iterating over a sequence does not implicitly make a copy. The slice notation makes this especially convenient.

This fixed the problem:
list1 = ["I", "sing", "of", "arms", "and", "a", "man"]
list2 = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
list3 = list1 + list2

for x in list3[:]:
    if x in range(10):
        list3.remove(x)

print(list3)
Output:
['I', 'sing', 'of', 'arms', 'and', 'a', 'man'] Process finished with exit code 0
There are too much unnecessary 'actions' in code.

You create new list, then create copy of that new list and then remove items from new list to get list without integers. New list and it's copy are throw-away lists.

More efficient could be to iterate over all items in both lists and 'take out' only these which are not integers.

list_1 = ["I", "sing", "of", "arms", "and", "a", "man"]
list_2 = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
list_3 = []

for item in [*list_1, *list_2]: 
    if not isinstance(item, int):
        list_3.append(item)
One can do it with list comprehension as well:

list_3 =[item for item in [*list_1, *list_2] if not isinstance(item, int)]
In your code You check only for integers 0...9 which means that integers 10 and larger / less than 0 will be kept.
Exsul likes this post
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
(Aug-26-2019, 07:52 AM)perfringo Wrote: There are too much unnecessary 'actions' in code.

You create new list, then create copy of that new list and then remove items from new list to get list without integers. New list and it's copy are throw-away lists.

More efficient could be to iterate over all items in both lists and 'take out' only these which are not integers.

list_1 = ["I", "sing", "of", "arms", "and", "a", "man"]
list_2 = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
list_3 = []

for item in [*list_1, *list_2]: 
    if not isinstance(item, int):
        list_3.append(item)
One can do it with list comprehension as well:

list_3 =[item for item in [*list_1, *list_2] if not isinstance(item, int)]
In your code You check only for integers 0...9 which means that integers 10 and larger / less than 0 will be kept.

In general, when do you use isinstance() and when do you use ==?
(Aug-26-2019, 11:12 PM)Exsul Wrote: In general, when do you use isinstance() and when do you use ==?

They accomplish quite a different tasks:

- == compares values of two objects for equality Documentation >> The Python Language Reference >> 6. Expressions >> 6.10.1 Value Comparisons
- isinstance(object, classinfo) checks whether object is instance of class (or subclass) (instance of class is fancy way to say what type the object is - int, float, list etc).

You use former if you need to check equality:

>>> a = 42
>>> a == 42
True
>>> a == 43
False

You use latter for identity. As in this task - you want to eliminate all integers regardless of the value, so you check whether object is integer and act accordingly.

>>> a = 42
>>> isinstance(a, int)
True
>>> isinstance(a, float)
False
>>> isinstance(a, (int, float))
True

Top Page

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I calculate a ratio from 2 numbers and return an equivalent list of about 1000 Pleiades 7 1,553 Jul-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Last Post: ndc85430
  Topic: “Filter numbers with a list comprehension” (PyBite #107) Drone4four 4 184 Jun-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Drone4four
  Assign the sum of 2 consecutive numbers in a list to a varibale Fenaz 3 297 Apr-05-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: bowlofred
  list sum gives unexpected result Nesso 0 216 Feb-04-2020, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Nesso
  output a list of random numbers 'x' columns wide adityavpratap 4 270 Jan-13-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  Remove all \n from end of list items JackMack118 4 19,501 Dec-27-2019, 08:34 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  How do I name a list while generating numbers on the fly? Pleiades 6 442 Dec-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  Subtract 11 from entire list of quoted numbers Pleiades 1 273 Nov-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  can't remove element from a list yokaso 6 398 Nov-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: yokaso
  with input remove a string from the list konsular 3 388 Oct-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: konsular