Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is ,*, ?
(Sep-09-2017, 11:03 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: It looks like the name of the function is automatically passed as argument b:
No,default argument test is passed.
Name of function is test2 Confused

The point is as dvs1 showed.
If use that function without ,*,,and pass in 2 positional argument.
def test1(a, b='test'):
    print(a)
    print(b

test1('hello', 'world')
Output:
hello world
So is allowed to give a argument that is not a keyword argumet.
With ,*,
def test1(a,*, b='test'):
    print(a)
    print(b)

test1('hello', 'world')
Output:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "e:\1py_div\div_code\pos.py", line 32, in <module> test1('hello', 'world') TypeError: test1() takes 1 positional argument but 2 were given
So is forced to use keyword argument.
def test1(a,*, b='test'):
    print(a)
    print(b)

test1('hello', b='world')
Output:
hello world
(Sep-10-2017, 12:23 AM)Skaperen Wrote: so how can a definition of an argument specifying that it can be given either way define the difference between a required argument and one that is not required (e.g. calling f() above with just one positional  argument)?
It's only forcing that last argument has to be a key word argument.
λ ptpython
>>> def f(positional, either_way_with_default_value='foo',*, only_as_a_named_option='bar'):
...     return positional,either_way_with_default_value,only_as_a_named_option

>>> f(1)
(1, 'foo', 'bar')

>>> f(1, 2)
(1, 2, 'bar')

>>> f(1, 2, 3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: f() takes from 1 to 2 positional arguments but 3 were given
f() takes from 1 to 2 positional arguments but 3 were given

>>> f(1, 2, only_as_a_named_option=3)
(1, 2, 3)
If remove ,*,.
>>> def f(positional, either_way_with_default_value='foo', only_as_a_named_option='bar'):
...     return positional,either_way_with_default_value,only_as_a_named_option

>>> f(1)
(1, 'foo', 'bar')

>>> f(1, 2)
(1, 2, 'bar')

>>> f(1, 2, 3)
(1, 2, 3)
I am confusing myself. Of course the default value of b is 'test'. But now I'm not sure what the purpose of * is.
(Sep-10-2017, 01:50 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: I am confusing myself. Of course the default value of b is 'test'. But now I'm not sure what the purpose of * is.

It makes the parameters after it keyword only parameters. Those parameters cannot be supplied as positional parameters.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Here is the detailed description of five kinds of parameter I found: parameter
(Sep-09-2017, 11:03 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: It looks like the name of the function is automatically passed as argument b:
or rather it is the default value for b as given in the def that has b='test'.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
im confused as on why you would want to force it?
Recommended Tutorials:
PEP 3102 explains why they introduce the keyword-only arguments. My English is so poor that I can't get it all. But I think here is the reason. Maybe someone can explain better with some examples.
The rationale in the PEP doesn't make sense. It says it's there so you can have keyword arguments after *args without having to resort to **kwargs. So they propose changing the syntax to allow that (which is okay, and works currently), but then add in the plain * parameter to force keyword-only arguments, without giving a rationale for keyword-only arguments.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
This was created in 2006? I dont think i have ever seen code use that syntax before then.

I still dont understand its purpose, as kwargs were always assigned the last parameters in a function. There doesnt seem to be any reason to force it then.
Recommended Tutorials: