Python Forum
when will Python3 be THE Python?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when will Python3 be THE Python?
when i first started with Python, the symlink /usr/bin/python in Linux pointed to python2.X. i don't know when it actually changed. i am curious when it will point to python3.X for whatever X is at that time. in other words, when will Python version 3 be so current that it will just be referred to only as Python, like Python version 2 was before it expired?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
In new releases eg Ubuntu/Mint 20.. is Python 2 not included by default.
Quote:Python3 by default
In 20.04 LTS, the python included in the base system is Python 3.8. Python 2.7 has been moved to universe and is not included by default in any new installs.
i don't know, yet. that's one reason i asked this question ... to have a perspective on what i might find when i do go to 20.04 in the next month or so.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I think it already is. I first started Python 3 years ago and I would often hear about v2. I decided to start with v3 since it would be better moving forward. I dropped python for a while and came back a year ago. Now I barely hear anything about Python 2.x anymore. At any rate, by the end of this year, it will be even more clear.
Hopefully never ever!
(May-27-2020, 11:14 AM)macfanpl Wrote: Hopefully never ever!
What do you mean by that? WHY NOT?
And also, as far as I know, Python 3 has already become the default python Cool
pyzyx3qwerty
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela
Need help on the forum? Visit help @ python forum
For learning more and more about python, visit Python docs
(May-27-2020, 11:30 AM)pyzyx3qwerty Wrote:
(May-27-2020, 11:14 AM)macfanpl Wrote: Hopefully never ever!
What do you mean by that? WHY NOT?
And also, as far as I know, Python 3 has already become the default python Cool

Mainly because Python developers thinks of Python as the only one programming language, as if Python was more important than others.

Whats nore: its extremely troublesome language, with many things that are plain absurd like loops by indentations.....

Almost 99% of time there is some problem with updating via CLI.......
(May-27-2020, 12:42 PM)macfanpl Wrote: Whats nore: its extremely troublesome language, with many things that are plain absurd like loops by indentations.....

Almost 99% of time there is some problem with updating via CLI.......
This is absolute trolling right? This should be reported
If you don't like python just pick another language of your choice- don't go around trolling python
pyzyx3qwerty
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela
Need help on the forum? Visit help @ python forum
For learning more and more about python, visit Python docs
(May-26-2020, 10:00 PM)Skaperen Wrote: when i first started with Python, the symlink /usr/bin/python in Linux pointed to python2.X.

This sort of assumes that all Linux distributions are the same. Some probably are defaulting to Python 3.x, but it's usually helpful to say what you're running.
(May-27-2020, 12:42 PM)macfanpl Wrote: Mainly because Python developers thinks of Python as the only one programming language, as if Python was more important than others.

COBOL developers think of COBOL as the one and only programming language, as if COBOL was more important than all other.

(May-27-2020, 12:42 PM)macfanpl Wrote: Whats nore: its extremely troublesome language, with many things that are plain absurd like loops by indentations.....

that might be an interesting feature, indent to create a loop. no more for statements. and i thought indentation to define a code block was silly until i actually tried it. now i'm using indentation to define generational relations in my genealogical/historical data files.

(May-27-2020, 12:42 PM)macfanpl Wrote: Almost 99% of time there is some problem with updating via CLI.......

as one who does all my development work in CLI, i have never encountered a problem specific to CLI.

(May-27-2020, 08:32 PM)ndc85430 Wrote:
(May-26-2020, 10:00 PM)Skaperen Wrote: when i first started with Python, the symlink /usr/bin/python in Linux pointed to python2.X.

This sort of assumes that all Linux distributions are the same. Some probably are defaulting to Python 3.x, but it's usually helpful to say what you're running.

let's narrow down my interest to how the Python source package (of the latest version 3 at the time, not a copy of Python Legacy version 1 or 2) from the Python developers will set up /usr/bin/python when doing "make install" (or whatever is needed) on a POSIX system with no Python on it.