Python Forum
which column of sql table is equal to a variable
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which column of sql table is equal to a variable
i want to find the value of 'vazn' (one column of sql table) where 'id' column is equal to f1.
f1 is a variable as following:
f1=int(enter3.get())
enter3 is an entry.
i entered the variable in enter3 that is equal to one of the existing 'id's in the sql table('bills')
this is my code:

Output:
[self.cur.execute("SELECT vazn FROM billse WHERE id1='f1'")                 vaznp = self.cur.fetchall()                 print(vaznp)][/python] i get 'null' when it prints vaznp
why?????
please helpppp Sick
vazno, id1 are variables
billsa is the  table (or view) name

It's telling you nothing matches id1
(Mar-13-2017, 12:48 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: vazno, id1 are variables
billsa is the  table (or view) name

It's telling you nothing matches id1

the table name is "billse"
"vazn" & "id1" are the columns of this table...
"f1" is a variable
Of course you are correct:
bottom line is still correct:
It's telling you nothing matches id1 (f1)

suggest a print statement to see contents of f1
(Mar-13-2017, 01:40 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Of course you are correct:
bottom line is still correct:
It's telling you nothing matches id1 (f1)

suggest a print statement to see contents of f1

i have seen  contents of f1...it's "789"...one of values from "id1" column is "789" too...but i get "null" for "self.cur.fetchall()" or the same "vaznp"
why???????????
help Sad
But you are trying to get rows with id = "f1", not rows with id = "789" - you have no variable substitution/expansion in your select string. So you are getting the correct response (unless you have row with id "f1" in your table ... ). 

Either format/construct your select string with your variable - you can do something like:
select_string = 'select * from bla where id = "{}";'.format(f1)
or use (and thats better solution, if its available) a variable substitution provided by a database connection - its usually something like:
cur.execute("select * from bla where id = ?", (f1,))
exact syntax might vary according to the database used.
ok.my problem was solved...but i have a new problem..please help again...i want to add **vazne** into another table(it maeans **vazne** will becomes one of the the second table columns )...when i print **vazne** , it returns correct value but as this format : [(360,)]...so when i add it into the second table,

i get the following error
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/tkinter/__init__.py", line 1536, in __call__
return self.func(*args)
File "/home/pi/start/gui/jus-submeno-image-refreshh.py", line 609, in tozin2
self.whtable()
File "/home/pi/start/gui/jus-submeno-image-refreshh.py", line 645, in whtable
c.execute("INSERT INTO billsf (vaznf, id1, firs1,las1, yekdo, vaznemp) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)",(counter, f1, d1, e1, yord, vazne))
sqlite3.InterfaceError: Error binding parameter 5 - probably unsupported type.

**billse** is the first table...**billsf** is the second table... **vazne** is selected based on 2 items in the first second...after calling **vazne** from the first table, it shoud be added to the second table(**billsf**)
(Mar-15-2017, 07:58 AM)gray Wrote: ok.my problem was solved...but i have a new problem..please help again...

You already opened a new thread for that: https://python-forum.io/Thread-combining...ecial-form

Any discussion of the new question, should take place in the new thread.  I'm not closing this thread in case someone still wants to discuss this topic.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Column headers not aligning properly with table kenwatts275 3 3,451 Jul-13-2020, 12:53 AM
Last Post: menator01
  updating a field of sql table from a variable gray 1 3,509 Mar-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Last Post: nilamo