Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
while loop help
Hey everyone, have all of my code correct thus far (so I think lol) but steps 6 & 7 have me very lost. My instructor never gave us any information on swaps and I'm thinking there is to be a loop within a loop but i'm not sure if that is even possible with python. Appreciate any help/direction
  1. Draw five adjacent boxes and number the boxes 0 though 4

2. Put the following numbers in boxes 0 - 4, one number per box: 6 8 4 5 2
  1. Draw a box, label the box I, write the number 0 in box I

2. Draw a box, label the box J, write the number 999 in box J

3. If the number in box I is less than 5 then do the next instruction, otherwise do instruction 12

4. Replace the number in box J with 0

5. If the number in box J is less than 4 then do the next instruction, otherwise do instruction 10

6. If the number in the numbered box whose box number is the same as the number in box J is greater than the number in the box that follows then do the next instruction, otherwise do instruction 8

7. Swap the value in the box whose box number is the same as the number in box J with the value in the box that follows

8. Replace the number in box J with the number that is one more than the number currently in box J

9. Go back and do instruction 5 again

10. Replace the number in box I with the number that is one more than the number currently in box I

11. Go back and do instruction 3 again

12. You are done

list_ = [6,8,4,5,2]
I = 0
J = 999
while I < 5:
  J = 0
  while J < 4:

J = J + 1
  I = I + 1
Since your instructions use the word 'draw' with boxes, I have to assume that you're expected to use a GUI.
You have none in your code.
Which GUI's did you cover in class?
Thats just in there because we were to draw out the algorithm on paper and now the second portion is to code it
Then be clear, how do you want the output to look (example please)
list_ = [6,8,4,5,2]
I = 0
J = 999
while I < 5:
   J = 0
   while J < 4:
       if list_[J]> list_[J+1]:    # This if statement will check values in list and then...
           list_[J],list_[J+1] = list_[J+1],list_[J]    # swap the values if the item after it has a lesser value
           J += 1
           I += 1
       else:
            J += 1
            I += 1
print(list_)
Without knowing exactly what the output should be I won't know if its correct, but judging by the steps you are stuck at, it looks like it wants you to swap values in a list.
the output should be [2, 4, 5, 6, 8]
Then you need to indent line n, so it is under the j loop; and write step 7 on line 7 with the same indentation (see smbx33's line 8).
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
hmm still confused by what you mean. what do you mean by line n?
That was a typo, I meant line 9.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I keep getting the same output [4, 5, 2, 6, 8] instead of [2, 4, 5, 6, 8]

here's my code

list_ = [6,8,4,5,2]
I = 0
J = 999
while I < 5:
  J = 0
  while J < 4:
      list_[J], list_[J + 1] = list_[J + 1], list_[J]  # This if statement will check values in list and then...
      J += 1
      I += 1
print(list_)