Python Forum

Full Version: django manage.py startserver - not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Error:
$ ./manage.py startserver Traceback (most recent call last):   File "./manage.py", line 17, in <module>     "Couldn't import Django. Are you sure it's installed and " ImportError: Couldn't import Django. Are you sure it's installed and available on your PYTHONPATH environment variable? Did you forget to activate a virtual environment?
dev@debian-512mb-nyc3-01:/var/www/html/learningpy$ 
dev@debian-512mb-nyc3-01:/var/www/html/learningpy$ # now check this out
dev@debian-512mb-nyc3-01:/var/www/html/learningpy$ 
dev@debian-512mb-nyc3-01:/var/www/html/learningpy$ python3
Python 3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 10:45:20) 
[GCC 4.9.1] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import django
>>>
Why am I getting that error? As you can see django imports without complaint. Note that I installed django from pip3 so that I would be getting the python3 version.

I'm giving django + python one last shot for web development. I tried this about a year ago and I ran into more problems than I care to think about. And even if I had gotten everything working it was more trouble to setup a single django project an entire LAMP stack. If I can't get python + django going good for web development this time I think I'll drop it and return to php, but I'm hoping you all can help me to not have to do that. Thanks.
SOLVED
How was it solved? in case others have a similar problem.
I have had many problems with django. This particular problem was solved by walking away from my computer for a while. I came back and ran the same command and it worked, I didn't change a thing. I have no idea, go figure.