Python Forum

Full Version: Newbie help with simple script written for v3.3 and used on vs2.7, please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
Im a complete newbie to any sort of programming so sorry if this is a stupid question - working my way through the python for absolute beginers on you tube and Im on Video2. Have got python running from cmd and using notepad++ for editor.  Code reads    
print("hello world")     
myName = input("what is your name?")     
print(myName)
above runs fine outputting
Output:
hello world what is your name?
Video shows typing your name after the ?  (no space)  pressing enter key and then name should print  however I get an error message basically saying Name error Name Paul is not defined. 
I think video uses v3.3 and Im on 2.7 dont know if that makes a difference but any help welcome.  Thanks for reading.
Thanks
Paul
Works fine under 3.5.1
Thanks for the response I was wondering if the reason was I`m using 2.7 and Video is 3.3.  I may install V3 and see if that works.

Thanks again

Just a quick update installed V3.3 and code now runs fine.

Thanks everybody for reading - I`m sure I will have more questions soon.

On that note anybody know any good online tutorials/videos etc?  or know a good book for complete novice?   Looked at Python programming for the absolute beginner by Mike Dawson on Amazon for around £16 has anyone used this book?

Cheers
Paul
instead of "input()" you should use "raw_input()"

myName = raw_input("what is your name?")  
and instead of "print()", you can just use "print var "

print myName
there were some other changes from v2 to v3, but these two are probably used most often

As to resources, check this link Python Resources
(Dec-08-2016, 07:46 PM)PaulMorrey Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everybody for reading - I`m sure I will have more questions soon.

On that note anybody know any good online tutorials/videos etc?  or know a good book for complete novice?  

Well then welcome to programming and our forums, Paul.

You can take a look at our (long) list here in the Tutorials sub-forum: A List of Free Python Resources