Python Forum

Full Version: IDE and new Students
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am brand new to Python and though I learned some basic in elementary school and a little C++ in college I am for all intents and purposes new to programming. I have a question and I would like and objective answer if possible.

I installed visual Studio Community 2017 along with the necessary Python libraries and tools because I use office and other MS tools in my day-today work and thought I might have an easier time adapting o menu layouts, etc. I have felt extremely comfortable with Visual Studio so far but it seems like no one uses it.

My question is: "Is there some fundamental reason that Visual Studio is deficient for Python and more importantly, will I eventually have problems if I continue to use it?". Since I don't know what I don't know, I just want to make sure I am not learning to use a tool that will eventually create more problems than it seems to solve now. Thanks in advance.
You should not use visual Studio Community,but VS Code.
I have tutorial from start here.
I use Visual Studio Code and love it. But I am fairly new (2 yrs)
I used to use Atom.
Phil
(Aug-25-2018, 06:56 PM)snippsat Wrote: [ -> ]You should not use visual Studio Community,but VS Code.
What is the difference between VS Code and VS community?
Visual Studio is a large IDE.
Mostly focus on Windows development with C#, Visual Basic, C/C++.
Has a VYSIWYG editor for VB.NET/C++.NET/C#.
Extreme large Download Size, Space Utilization and the slows down over time.

VS Code is and Editor.
Quote:Visual Studio Code is a lightweight but powerful source code editor,
which runs on your desktop and is available for Windows, MAC and Linux
So it's not like Visual Studio at all,can be compared to Atom and Sublime Text.
VS Code has also put resources to make Python work good in there editor VS Code Goes All In on Python.
My vote is for VSCode 1st
PyCharm 2nd
I have tried many, and for me, these are tops.