Python Forum

Full Version: Skaperen blames Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i did a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 in a cloud instance and found it had 21 PyPi packages installed. but pip was not one of them. and the data that pip store to say it was the installer is absent, too. so these files got there some other way.
Pip is not mandatory to install python modules. The version of the python modules packaged with Ubuntu is often different from the latest version available in pypi. I suppose one needs to make choices to build a coherent linux distribution.
apt-get install python-pip python3-pip
You should know this.
(Aug-27-2018, 06:41 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: [ -> ]Pip is not mandatory to install python modules. The version of the python modules packaged with Ubuntu is often different from the latest version available in pypi. I suppose one needs to make choices to build a coherent linux distribution.

so how does one install pypi packages without (using) pip?

i'm trying to get my laptop back to a working (coherent?) state. everything that broke with a recent ubuntu upgrade are things that i believe are pypi things. it is odd that an ubuntu upgrade would do that without major breakage all over the system (they've been known to do that in the past). my backups and backup listings to amazon s3 are broken. all my scripts that use botocore are broken. things worked fine a few days ago.

during the course of dealing with this, i have found numerous things goofy. it is surprising that it even worked at all. for example boto, boto3, and botocore, had both ubuntu and pypi packages installed.

i am tempted to have /usr and /usr/local mounted read-only except when specifically maintaining stuff.
(Aug-27-2018, 11:10 PM)Skaperen Wrote: [ -> ]so how does one install pypi packages without (using) pip?
As was already said here, apt-get.

You may want to look into virtualenv if you want fresh Ubuntu installs to be able to run your scripts which have dependencies. You can't expect Ubuntu (or any OS) to be able to do everything out of the box.
apt-get installs ubuntu packages. if it has a feature to do pypi, the man pages don't say how.
Someone puts the pypi contents in the repo(s) referenced by apt-get. apt-get wouldn't mention that in the man page it doesn't care if the project comes from pypi, Github, or wherever else. Does that make sense?
(Aug-28-2018, 12:31 AM)micseydel Wrote: [ -> ]Someone puts the pypi contents in the repo(s) referenced by apt-get. apt-get wouldn't mention that in the man page it doesn't care if the project comes from pypi, Github, or wherever else. Does that make sense?

it makes sense only if they are putting at least some of them in late or backversioned or incomplete or corrupted or modified to install into a different location. some of those pypi packages i found in a fresh ubuntu 16.04 did not have any record of being installed by apt-get or other deb packaging. the command dpkg -l did not list them.

they should prefix the names with "pypi-".

what would be nice to know is where/how to download all the pypi tarballs ... or at least a file list for every pypi package. i just downloaded the file lists for ubuntu packages from my sources (this is a list that includes packages i have not installed ... over 2000000 files).
based on some files i found in the giant list of 2000000+ files in 50000+ ubuntu packages, there are some pypi packages in there, but they are all older versions.

so i should be sure all of them are either re-installed or at least updated by pip.

i'm still blaming ubuntu for this mess, and it may be due to the old pypi packages.
you can install python module without pip

Quote:sudo apt-get install python3-pyqt5
Pages: 1 2