Python Forum

Full Version: Installing Homebrew on my mac; non computer-savvy person
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am working through a book to learn python on version 2.7. I need to download homebrew as part of a project in the book. As required, from homebrew's website, I paste the following in terminal...

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
...but I get the following error:

curl: (35) LibreSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to raw.githubusercontent.com:443

I have been researching, trying to find answers to this for a while now. From what I have read, it seems my problem is I can not connect to raw.gihubusercontent.com. To check, when I type that url into my browser, it says:

"This site can’t be reached raw.githubusercontent.com unexpectedly closed the connection."

From my research, it seems like I need to download a proxy, as that is what the following link implied: link 1. But it provides info on how to do it when working behind a proxy, from what I understand.

According to this website I am not behind a proxy, as some threads suggested this problem could stem from. So, how do I fix this problem and install homebrew? I am not the most computer-savvy person, so if I am missing information here, please let me know, I will be checking this thread around the clock. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!! :)

If it matters: I am on macOS HighSierra version 10.13.2, and XCode is fully updated.
I think you can install on macOS with:
easy_install pip
once that is done, you should be able to install other packages with:
pip install packagename
Issue report.

Doing it Right Mac
Alternative pyenv(Simple Python Version Management) also work on Mac.
Example how it look on Linux:
# Update pyenv
mint@mint ~ $ pyenv update

# Look at what's available
mint@mint ~ $ pyenv install --list
Available versions:
  3.6.6rc1
  3.7-dev
  3.8-dev

# Update needed
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libffi-dev

# install
mint@mint ~ $ pyenv install 3.7.0
Installing Python-3.7.0...
Installed Python-3.7.0 to /home/mint/.pyenv/versions/3.7.0

# Set python and pip to point to 3.7
mint@mint ~ $ pyenv global 3.7.0
mint@mint ~ $ python -V
Python 3.7.0
mint@mint ~ $ pip -V
pip 10.0.1 from /home/mint/.pyenv/versions/3.7.0/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip (python 3.7)
mint@mint ~ $ 
# Finish
So now python and pip always point to what you set global in this case 3.7.

Quote:I am working through a book to learn python on version 2.7.
Use Python 3.6 or newer not Python 2.7,we try to be clear about this not so much discussion anymore.
forgot about pyenv. I use it all the time, and just take it for granted.