Python Forum

Full Version: Problems running exe file from pyinstaller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to convert a simple .py file to .exe file. I am using ubuntu 18.04,python 3.7,pyinstaller 3.4. I have been able to convert .py file to .exe file but when I try to run it,nothing happens. No output,no error,nothing. What might be the problem?
hard to say without knowing exactly how you ran the tool.
You need to show what you tried step by step, even the simplest steps.
If need .exe you most build it with pyinstaller on Windows.
pyinstaller work on Linux but it dos not create .exe for Windows.
So on Linux it will make foo no file extension ,and on Windows foo.exe.
They work the same also a stand alone executable,but need to build on OS used.
(Jan-14-2019, 05:01 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: [ -> ]hard to say without knowing exactly how you ran the tool. You need to show what you tried step by step, even the simplest steps.

I first changed my directory to the folder where my code was saved then I tried running pyinstaller through terminal
pyinstaller --onefile calculator1.py
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fDP7jQ...hJCtYt5PtZ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fDP7jQ...hJCtYt5PtZ

Everything runs fine and there is also folder for build and dist but when I try to run the exe file in dist folder,nothing happens.

(Jan-14-2019, 05:15 PM)snippsat Wrote: [ -> ]If need .exe you most build it with pyinstaller on Windows. pyinstaller work on Linux but it dos not create .exe for Windows. So on Linux it will make foo no file extension ,and on Windows foo.exe. They work the same also a stand alone executable,but need to build on OS used.

that executable file is created but it doesn't run. What do you mean y building that OS?
(Jan-15-2019, 07:34 AM)ersa21 Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean y building that OS?
Is't simple you say use Ubuntu 18.04,then you can not build .exe for Windows.
There is Wine that can used to run pyinstaller in,but in general is better to build in Windows if need .exe.
Pyinstaller is not a cross-compiler,if your on Linux you build for Linux,same for Windows.