Python Forum

Full Version: Disk usage stats.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks.

I'm using all the usual code to get the main disk usage info, how big is the disk, how much available etc. but how can I get a current overhead snapshot like you get with the cpu readings?

If I ask the the cpu readings with the correct utils I get 27%, 32%, 3%, 56%. 4 readings, 1 for each cpu. This is the 'percentage' of processor overhead, or actually strain at that time.

I can't find anyway to get this snapshot for the disk. How much is the disk buffer being hammered at 'now' ?

Is this possible? I notice htop doesn't show this information.

Many thanks.
for disk access stats, you might find something here: https://pypi.org/search/?q=real+time+disk+access+stats+
Some interesting stuff, but sadly nothing that will do exactly what I need.

With a mixture of iotop atop ntop, etc I could get the numbers and calculate what I need, but that would be a real overhead problem. Running the utils needed, grepping (if even possible) the data I need, then compiling it will totally skew the processor usage.

I need this for a live monitor util which collects data and writes it out to a DB, a separate node runs a graphical interface to view live information of all 128 nodes. So anything that hammers the system is a problem. At the moment my monitoring code runs just under 2% of total processor time, I need to keep close to that.

Anyway... If anyone has anything please let me know.
Thanks.