Python Forum

Full Version: Python Version on Mac OSX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running python 3.7.10 on OSX. I am trying to use speech recognition but that requires PyAudio. After about an hour of searching and failing, most sites said PyAudio wasn't compadible with Python 3.7 or above so I tried to uninstall and reinstall python on a different version. However I've tried deleting every individual file and running rm in terminal but if I type python --version into the command prompt the reply is still Verison 3.7.10. I am trying to install version 3.6.8...Can anyone help?
In order to learn what Python versions do you have on your machine type python in terminal and hit TAB. You will see list of versions and configurations.

I believe that virtual environments are solution for this kind of problems. You know, in near future you might need insertion-ordered dictionaries and therefore Python 3.7 but you don't want to break your PyAdio setup. There is built-in venv module and several third party modules like pipenv. You just set up virtual environment with 'right' Python version with needed modules and dependencies
Thanks, perfringo. Sorry, I'm new to this. How would I go about setting up a Virtual environment with a different Python version. I've given it a go but I can understand the documentation very well.
There is quite straightforward tutorial on Python site: Creating virtual environments.
this is the best solution
Thank you for the quick replies perfringo. This is exactly what I wanted!