Python Forum

Full Version: Rock Paper Scissors Game, I need help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I recently started learning python and I'm having lots of fun!
I made a very very simple, beginner game of Rock Paper Scissors, but I've hit a roadblock.

I tried to implement a sort of "error-detection" system where if either player types anything other than "rock", "paper", "scissors", the result will print "Please type correct choices!"
However, no matter what I type, I end up getting "Please type correct choices!" message.

Can you guys help me where I messed up my code? I'm assuming that I messed up line 8...

I appreciate your help!

print("Welcome to the great game of Rock Paper Scissors!")
print("Here is the rule.\nPlayer 1 enters his/her choice.\nPlayer 2 enters his/her choice.\n")

p1 = input("Player 1, please enter your choice: ").lower()
p2 = input("Player 2, please enter your choice: ").lower()

if p1 == ("rock" or "paper" or "scissors") and p2 == ("rock" or "paper" or "scissors"):
	if p1 == p2:
		print("It's a tie!")
	elif p1 == "rock":
		if p2 == "paper":
			print("Player 2 wins!")
		else:
			print("Player 1 wins!")
	elif p1 == "paper":
		if p2 =="scissors":
			print("Player 2 wins!")
		else:
			print("Player 1 wins!")
	elif p1 == "scissors":
		if p2 == "rock":
			print("Player 2 wins!")
		else:
			print("Player 1 wins!")	
else:
	print("Please type correct choices!")
You are using the or operator wrong. You need to have an expression on each side of the or (see here for details). What you want is:

valid = ('rock', 'paper', 'scissors')
if p1 in valid and p2 in valid:
(Feb-14-2019, 04:04 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: [ -> ]You are using the or operator wrong. You need to have an expression on each side of the or (see here for details). What you want is:

valid = ('rock', 'paper', 'scissors')
if p1 in valid and p2 in valid:

Thank you so much for your help! I now know what I did wrong. Thank you again.