Python Forum

Full Version: i want to create a fractal client
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i want to create a fractal client program in Python. i am using Xfce on Linux but i would like for this program to be reasonably portable. what i want it to do is zoom in on Mandelbrot sets and Julia sets. its window will have an area of single pixels to draw the graphics in and a few other ares to show numbers and names in. it will connect to a server over the network. the server will do the heavy calculating work. the server can be on the same computer or anywhere else. the idea is using an array of computers or a cloud provider for huge calculating work. the server will also be able to connect to many other servers and divide up the units of work to get a faster result. the client will need to convert the results it gets from the server to display pixels in the pixel area in the window, as well as change most of the numbers it displays. it will have the area divided into a 4x4 grid and use mouse clicks in the grid parts to select the next area to zoom in to, or a button to unzoom, or start over.

one thing i am curious about is taking results to draw the pixels with. so Python code will need to be able to draw a single pixel in a the pixel area and repeat that to fill up all the pixels in an area as big as 515x515 (512 plus 3 for the thin lines to divide it up into a 4x4 grid). i have not yet decided what the network protocol will be like. it will need to be simple and not depend on Python since the servers will probably be written in C.

what would be my best choices for the client?