Python Forum

Full Version: dual booting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i know a lot of people who have a dual boot setup with windows and linux.  my favorite question to ask them is what program have they run the longest.

i recommend using a virtual machine and run the other system that way.  there are many virtual machine programs for both windows and linux.  one of my friends even runs both windows and linux in virtual machines, on os/2 (i don't even want to ask how, but he is an expert of os/2).

there is another option, and that is to run linux in the cloud, or on a VPS, or a dedicated server if want to spend a lot of money.  the cloud option is free for a year at amazon web services.

me personally, i don't run windows at all.  i might try windows in the cloud.  that option is not free.  but windows users do pay for all their stuff, or know how to steal it.
I wanna know, by "what program have they run the longest?" Could you maybe explain what you mean by that?
(Jan-25-2017, 04:24 AM)Skaperen Wrote: [ -> ]but windows users do pay for all their stuff, or know how to steal it.
well, that's a bit exaggerated. It's a matter of personal integrity, i.e. everything has free/open source/community versions or if it comes to proprietary product (e.g. Matlab) without such alternative - you will have to pay for license anyway on any OS available.
As to the main discussion - I run dual boot with Win 10 and Linux Mint.
(Jan-25-2017, 04:39 AM)Syntex Wrote: [ -> ]I wanna know, by "what program have they run the longest?" Could you maybe explain what you mean by that?

it's sort of a tease.  all their programs when they shutdown.  i used to regularly have programs run for longer than a month.  my record was a year and 5 months.  my employer had a machine running an unpatched Netware box for over 3 years (about 3.1) out of fear it would not come back up if rebooted.
I use Linux. Ubuntu MATE, Mint and some CentOS based distro. I am considering to remove CentOS based one and install Windows 7 just to see how the Python stuff and Windows glue together. Sometime in the future.

The longest running application was srvdir to share some files from a local directory to www. A week or something
how many of you use virtual machines, second or third computers, servers (maybe remote or virtual), or the cloud?

skaperen:

3 laptops (Ubuntu,Ubuntu,Ubuntu) one of them is really a Netbook
3 local servers (Slackware,Slackware,Ubuntu)
2 old Sun SPARC machine (Solaris,OpenBSD)
1 virtual server (with VPN)
N cloud instances as needed (building cloud VPN stuff), 0 running at this moment
I don't use VM. A VM can't use a hardware acceleration, can't access the hardware at all instead perhaps some peripherals such as USB and the DVD. As I know. I am far from an expert level
Quote:it's sort of a tease.  all their programs when they shutdown.  i used to regularly have programs run for longer than a month.  my record was a year and 5 months.  my employer had a machine running an unpatched Netware box for over 3 years (about 3.1) out of fear it would not come back up if rebooted.
I would not run something longer than a month before updating and restarting. I learned my lesson 2 months ago with this server. 

Quote:how many of you use virtual machines, second or third computers, servers (maybe remote or virtual), or the cloud?
I use to use virtual machines. I had linux installed, and windows in the virtual machine as that is what i used less. Then i decided to do dual boots. Well actually "quad" boot, because i had Ubuntu, Arch, and Gentoo on an extended partition, and the latest windows on the other. At some point i got sick of shutting down to switch. Now i just have numerous computers side by side on my desk in my living room. I must admit though as more and more games comes to linux, i have a harder time justifying keeping a windows desktop.

But now i find it easier to just use numerous computers. People throw away desktops/laptops with windows XP/7 like its trash. When all you have to do is overwrite windows with a light weight linux and its just as fast as its first day running (rather faster actually).
Win-10 as main OS,mostly because i have all my 3D-stuff setup there.
My main editor for all OS is now Atom and ptpython as REPL.
  • VirtualBox usually 3 to 8 OS now 3-Linux distros and 2-Windows.
  • Digital Ocean 4 VPS droplet running now,2 forum(NodeBB) and usually some Droplet running test with Flask.
  • Other Cloud stuff: Cloud9 as online editor,account testing PythonAnywhere,Heruko.
  • Astrill as VPN,used for 6-years.
(Jan-25-2017, 04:24 AM)Skaperen Wrote: [ -> ]but windows users do pay for all their stuff, or know how to steal it.

I use to run Python under Windows, but I've never paid for Python, as far as I can remember, and I deny fiercely that I've stolen it. The same for IrfanView, Foxit Reader, VLC, Firefox, Libre Office, and a lot of other programs I use. So what do you mean? That I've paid  long ago for my Windows licenses? Okay, that's true in some way, they were bundled with PCs.
But still there are to much programs that don't run in other operating systems. I've never came across a versatile graphic program like Deneba Canvas (not available anymore, unfortunately), all unix / linux alternatives I've found so far can't keep pace with it in respect to *my* needs.
And a couple of games I play are 'Windows only', too. Easy games mostly, but still they won't run in Wine, and there are rarely enough Linux equivalents. 

Another point is that I know how to search for problem sources in Windows and come to solutions, while the Linux problems I myself and the other persons around me encounter often lack 'findable' descriptions and proposed solutions. Sometimes I can make a guess, but often enough I simply can only say: there's no full documentation for this, no or only rudimentary help files, and I can't find an appropriate solution in the internet that I can correlate with the problem. 
I have some Linux systems running nevertheless. Like metalburr, I came to the conclusion that running them on different PCs is better than multiple boot systems, so any PC only has either a Windows or a Linux running. And as long as I don't need Canvas, at the moment I can do my work on Linux, too.

Quote:my favorite question to ask them is what program have they run the longest.
Does this mean: which is the oldest programm still in regular use? That will be one of the games in my case, The Settlers 4.
Or does it mean 'time between opening and closing'? That had been some analytic program for a lab research, some did run for a couple of days, depending on the number of samples. I don't think that I ever had a web download that took more time. Then probably follows The Settlers 4 again (when I was younger, I could play it a full weekend...), and Python (calculating simulations).
Pages: 1 2