Python Forum

Full Version: About portable handheld consoles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been becoming interested in those portable handheld games that people make. I thinking about trying to make my own, but I don't know where to start. I know this really doesn't belong in a python forum, but this is the only place I could think to put it. I don't know if Python can be used to make those or if I'd have to learn another language. I'd be content with learning another language. I can't find any websites or videos on this stuff. Thx in advance for any help.
Google is your friend here.
scratch out a design for a game you'd like to design, then try to find hardware that will support it.
If you're thinking python, start by searching for:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=program...n+software
and variations of same.
read all available reviews that you can find.
If the device is cheap enough, buy it and play with it.
Once you've decided on a device, start designing your game to fit the available hardware.
It sounds like you're going to write either an Android app or iOS app. I'd recommend coding for whichever you have, or if neither, Android since it's free to get started (unless this has changed, it costs $100 to get started with iOS).

That said, if you try to make money off of your app I've heard that iOS is the way to go.

For a game especially, I wouldn't recommend any of the tools that allow you to write code one that runs on both. They tend to have limitations I would expect to be problematic for game development.

Lastly, if do go with Android, I highly recommend Kotlin over Java.
(Apr-24-2019, 01:51 AM)micseydel Wrote: [ -> ]Android since it's free to get started (unless this has changed, it costs $100 to get started with iOS).
At the time when I've registered developer account with Google fee was USD 25 and it's still so:
Quote:There is a $25 USD one-time registration fee that you can pay with the following credit or debit cards:

MasterCard
Visa
American Express
Discover (U.S. only)
Visa Electron (Outside of the U.S. only)

Note: The types of cards accepted may vary by location

The devloper account registration fee is USD 99 for iOS - I've recently checked this
That one-time fee is for publishing apps, not getting start with development. iOS changes the $99 even if you never plan to publish anything (at least at the time when I was looking into it).
(Apr-24-2019, 04:42 PM)micseydel Wrote: [ -> ]That one-time fee is for publishing apps, not getting start with development. iOS changes the $99 even if you never plan to publish anything (at least at the time when I was looking into it).
Oh, I see... Didn't know that about iOS. Yes, Google charges 25 for developer account that would allow to publish the app, but you can develop without paying.