Python Forum

Full Version: I need help using Python to generate usernames and passwords with excel documents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I need some serious help and guidance with creating a script. I realize I'm well over my head here but I still feel somehow I'm on the verge of "making something great". Worth noting is I'm incredibly new to python modules.

So, what I want is a python script that takes the existing content out of 1 excel file (called names.xsl) and then creates a new excel file but with an additional 2 columns, Username & Password. Now I have a function that generates a random 8 letter password. But I also need a function that generates a username based upon their names and room number(Which anybody is welcome to come with suggestions how to solve).

Layout of names.xsl:
A , B ,C , D
Name, socialsecuritynr, room, tel
Amy Anderson, 12345678, 636, 070xxx
etc etc (there are 33 names)

Layout of names_mod.xsl:
A , B , C , D , E , F
Name, socialsecuritynr, room, tel, Username, Password
Amy Anderson, 12345678, 636, 070xxx, amy636, randpa55

1 import pandas as pd                                                             
  2 from pandas import ExcelWriter                                                  
  3 from pandas import ExcelFile                                                    
  4 import numpy as np                                                              
  5 import xlsxwriter                                                               
  6                                                                                 
  7 import random                                                                   
  8 import string                                                                   
  9                                                                                 
 10 def randompassword(stringLength=6):                                             
 11     lettersAndDigits = string.ascii_letters + string.digits                     
 12     return ''.join(random.choice(lettersAndDigits) for i in range(stringLength))
 13 print (randompassword(8))                                                       
 14                                                                                 
 15 df = pd.read_excel('names.xls', sheet_name='Sheet1')                            
 16                                                                                 
 17 workbook = xlsxwriter.Workbook('names_mod.xls')                                 
 18 worksheet = workbook.add_worksheet()                                            
 19                                                                                 
 20 worksheet.write('E1', 'Username')                                           
 21 worksheet.write('F1', 'Password')                                               
 22 worksheet.write('F2-34',(randompassword(8))                                     
 23 workbook.close()                                                                
 24                                                                                 
 25 df1 = pd.read_excel('names_mod.xls', sheet_name='Sheet1')                       
 26 print(df1)    
I realize this is A LOT to ask and the whole sript is a complete mess at the moment.. but any help is muchly appreciated, I've been at this for a good week now and could really use some help. Please let me know if I'm breaking any forum rules or need to clarify anything. Thanks in advance.
To get the username from
Output:
Amy Anderson, 12345678, 636, 070xxx
to
Output:
amy636
Use split on the name and pair it with room.
Any chance you could be more specific? I know how to use split, just not when there's an excel file involved.
Hey guys, I'm incredibly new to Python and even more so to its modules.

I have an excel file (names.xsxl) with 33 names and info. I'm trying to create a script that generates a random username as well as a password for each user in the 'E' and 'F' column respectively. How would I do this with the help of my two functions?

I hope I'm making myself clear, if I'm not, don't hesitate to ask for a clarification. Here's my code so far:

1 import random                                                                   
  2 import string                                                                                                                           
  8 from openpyxl import workbook                                                   
  9 from openpyxl import load_workbook                                              
 10 import xlrd                                                                     
 11                                                                                 
 12 wb = load_workbook('names.xlsx')  #reads the names.xlsx file                                              
 13 wb.save('names_mod.xlsx')         #saves it with the name: names_mod.xslx                                              
 14                                                                                 
 15 def randompassword(stringLength=8):   #creates a random password                                          
 16     lettersAndDigits = string.ascii_letters + string.digits                     
 17     return ''.join(random.choice(lettersAndDigits) for i in range(stringLength))
 18                                                                                 
 19 def username(stringLength=5):         #creates a random username                                     
 20     lettersAndDigits = string.ascii_letters + string.digits                     
 21     return ''.join(random.choice(lettersAndDigits) for i in range(stringLength))
Thankful for any help.