Python Forum

Full Version: post getting moved to news and discussions without any notification or explanation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I posted a question about how to find a library in the general coding help forum and it was apparently moved to "news and discussions". Originally I thought I posted it in the wrong forum by mistake. Posted another time in the general coding help forum only to find out that this post got moved again to news and discussions.

I got no notification, explanation or anything and to be honest I do not understand why this was happening, my question was about a coding (choice of library) problem, not news or discussion?

Why is this happening, why is there no notification or explanation whatsoever when something is moved?

I also find it a bit weird that once something has been posted, there seems to be no way to edit it, so I cannot correct any mistakes later on?
(May-08-2019, 07:00 AM)johsmi96 Wrote: [ -> ]I posted a question about how to find a library in the general coding help forum and it was apparently moved to "news and discussions". Originally I thought I posted it in the wrong forum by mistake. Posted another time in the general coding help forum only to find out that this post got moved again to news and discussions.

I got no notification, explanation or anything and to be honest I do not understand why this was happening, my question was about a coding (choice of library) problem, not news or discussion?

Why is this happening, why is there no notification or explanation whatsoever when something is moved?

Your post is more suitable for News and Discussions section as it ask for general advice/suggestion on package you are looking for. i.e. it implies discussion on this topic.
General coding section is intended for more specific question related to a particular code snippet (generally it is expected that you provide your code and eventually a traceback).

(May-08-2019, 07:00 AM)johsmi96 Wrote: [ -> ]I also find it a bit weird that once something has been posted, there seems to be no way to edit it, so I cannot correct any mistakes later on?

As a new user you can edit your posts up to 10 minutes from the post. You will get editing privilege for 48 hours after you have 5 posts
see
https://python-forum.io/misc.php?action=help&hid=32
and
https://python-forum.io/misc.php?action=help&hid=31
Your original post was moved by admin. Then you post again.
I have moved the second post again and then deleted the original thread. As you can see it's not a unilateral decision - both one of the admins and I think it's more appropriate place for your post.
Note that I also moved to News and Discussions your other thread about web application.
It should be there or in Web-development section, not GUI.
We stopped notifying people on first few times of moving posts because usually new accounts do not stick around long enough to bother. There will still be a notification on the actual thread though about it being moved, but not more detail unless the mod/admin informs via a mod note.

There is more explanation of what each forum is for here in the forum structure of the help section.

Both of your current threads are in line with discussions so should be posted in "News and Discussions". Usually if the post does not need code to help answer it, it should be in "news and discussions".

EDIT:
I have also updated your title with more detail so others may find it easier with the same question.