Python Forum

Full Version: Excel Library for Python 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What's the best library for manipulating Excel workbook and worksheet? including basic editing and encryption.
(May-21-2019, 05:04 AM)heiner55 Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.python-excel.org/

thanks for the heads up. I read the manual and there is no functions to deal with encryption.
(May-22-2019, 01:30 AM)synthia Wrote: [ -> ]there is no functions to deal with encryption
"encryption" is general term (i.e. not excel-specific) and you need to be more specific what you want to do:
  • Apply some general encryption algorithm on excel file (i.e. in this case it's irrelevant that it's an excel file, it will work on any file all the same).
  • Password protect excel file using built-in excel functionality, i.e. make the excel file password protected.
  • Encrypt the content in some/all cell(s) in the excel file
  • Something else (what?) ...

Also there are other packages to work with excel, e.g. xlwings
(May-22-2019, 07:25 AM)buran Wrote: [ -> ]
(May-22-2019, 01:30 AM)synthia Wrote: [ -> ]there is no functions to deal with encryption
"encryption" is general term (i.e. not excel-specific) and you need to be more specific what you want to do:
  • Apply some general encryption algorithm on excel file (i.e. in this case it's irrelevant that it's an excel file, it will work on any file all the same).
  • Password protect excel file using built-in excel functionality, i.e. make the excel file password protected.
  • Encrypt the content in some/all cell(s) in the excel file
  • Something else (what?) ...

Also there are other packages to work with excel, e.g. xlwings
1.Encrypt excel workbook
2.Decrypt excel protection
(May-22-2019, 01:30 AM)synthia Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for the heads up. I read the manual and there is no functions to deal with encryption.
I can understand it as adding a password to your Excel.
Anyone(including you)who wants to open or edit Excel will need the correct password (which you set) to access it.Right?
That's what i did on my computer as i have lots of important files on my computer.
(May-24-2019, 08:30 AM)Easluy Wrote: [ -> ]
(May-22-2019, 01:30 AM)synthia Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for the heads up. I read the manual and there is no functions to deal with encryption.
I can understand it as adding a password to your Excel.
Anyone(including you)who wants to open or edit Excel will need the correct password (which you set) to access it.Right?
That's what i did on my computer as i have lots of important files on my computer.

Adding password and decrypting the file are the two features i am looking for to build this app
@synthia: How get you along ?
(May-29-2019, 02:29 AM)heiner55 Wrote: [ -> ]@synthia: How get you along ?

still working on it
Pages: 1 2