Python Forum

Full Version: The PMW Notebook Widget
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am working in Python 3.7.3. I am trying to make use of the Pmw Notebook widget. When I try to declare a widget of this type it returns the following error:
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "E:\WORK_SPACE\NoteBook_Tester.py", line 26, in <module> nb = pmw.NoteBook(root) File "C:\Users\matta\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\Pmw\Pmw_2_0_1\lib\PmwNoteBook.py", line 60, in __init__ Pmw.Color.bordercolors(self, self['hull_background']) File "C:\Users\matta\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\Pmw\Pmw_2_0_1\lib\PmwColor.py", line 364, in bordercolors '#%04x%04x%04x' % (lightRGB[0], lightRGB[1], lightRGB[2]), TypeError: %x format: an integer is required, not float
I opened the Pmw.Color class module and replaced the following code:

return (
        '#%04x%04x%04x' % (lightRGB[0], lightRGB[1], lightRGB[2]),
        '#%04x%04x%04x' % (darkRGB[0], darkRGB[1], darkRGB[2])
    )
with:

return (
        '#%04x%04x%04x' % (int(lightRGB[0]), int(lightRGB[1]), int(lightRGB[2])),
        '#%04x%04x%04x' % (int(darkRGB[0]), int(darkRGB[1]), int(darkRGB[2]))
    )
By casting the RGB color components to int the widget works. However, I am worried about deployment. Users of my application will be using the original Pmw.Color class. Have I overworked the problem? Is there an easier solution?

Matthew
What is Pmw, is it compatible with Python 3.7.3, what is the code you are running, can you pass in integers instead of floats in your code.
Pmw referring to python mega widget. When I try to declare a widget of this type it throws the above error. I copied and pasted a number of examples from the web and they threw the same error. From the output error, I opened the pmw.Color module in the Python installation directory and changed the erroneous line with the cast statements, and the widget now appears on the screen. I am hoping there is a top-level fix (basic code, rather than changing the pmw module code)to this problem. Here is my code:

import tkinter as tk
import tkinter.ttk as ttk
import Pmw as pmw

root = tk.Tk()
root.geometry("800x600")
pmw.initialise()

notebook = pmw.NoteBook(root)
notebook.pack(side='top', anchor='w', padx=50, pady=50)
root.mainloop()
Which produces the following error:

Error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "E:\WORK_SPACE\NoteBook_Tester.py", line 18, in <module> notebook = pmw.NoteBook(root) File "C:\Users\matta\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\Pmw\Pmw_2_0_1\lib\PmwNoteBook.py", line 60, in __init__ Pmw.Color.bordercolors(self, self['hull_background']) File "C:\Users\matta\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\site-packages\Pmw\Pmw_2_0_1\lib\PmwColor.py", line 364, in bordercolors '#%04x%04x%04x' % (lightRGB[0], lightRGB[1], lightRGB[2]), TypeError: %x format: an integer is required, not float
https://sourceforge.net/p/pmw/bugs/51/ Wrote:Pmw.Color.bordercolors() fails in Python 3. It seems to be assuming integer division. The clearest demonstration is to invoke directly or run a Notebook demo.

Python 3.6.5 (v3.6.5:f59c0932b4, Mar 28 2018, 16:07:46) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Inte
l)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import Pmw
>>> Pmw.Color.bordercolors(None, '#123456')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\python36_32\lib\site-packages\Pmw\Pmw_2_0_1\lib\PmwColor.py", line 36
2, in bordercolors
    '#%04x%04x%04x' % (lightRGB[0], lightRGB[1], lightRGB[2]),
Error:
TypeError: %x format: an integer is required, not float
Discussion
Thomas Holder

Thomas Holder - 2018-10-26
Patch #7 fixes this: https://sourceforge.net/p/pmw/patches/7/
How would I do so (invoke directly)? What would the declaration look like?
Sorry about last post. I did not see the patch at the end of Thomas' post. I went to SourceForge and downloaded fix. I do not know how to run it, and did not want to set up a new account just to ask. Can you please tell me how to open the downloaded file, or install?

Thanks,
MattSA
Here's a calculator done using pmw and tkinter.
The post below shows what the GUI looks like
https://python-forum.io/Thread-Tkinter-V...675#pid675