Python Forum

Full Version: advice getting started with GUI project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello, I have started an internship in which I was told to create a GUI in python which would consist of diagrams and templates as well as amendable information. Being new to programing in general, I was wondering what the best way to go about creating this GUI was. I already have a vision in mind for how it should look/work but I don't know how to begin the task of programming.

Are there any templates available which can then be edited to suit my own vision or do I have to start from scratch?
I was also wondering which GUI toolkit module I should use, with simplicity and aesthetics being the main criteria, any recommendations?

thank you
Okay first off when starting any project you do want to get the right tools so kudos to you for that. Now you can go about that in several ways and you will get multitudes of answers but let me share with you my recent experience in this. Tasked with rewriting a program due to its current code base being obsolete I looked into the possible tools. The previous programmer had settled upon pyside qt with python 2.7 -- python I knew so I could see no issues from going form 2.7 to 3.7 (latest version) which worked just fine. Mean while I looked into the various GUIs and I could see why my predecessor chose Qt over the other options. It is the most robust and best documented GUI package out there granted one of its pros is one of its cons and that is its rather large but so far I have to tip my hat to the coders as it is very well put together all-in-all.

That said there are were two flavors of qt that I could use pyside2 and pyqt5 because this was a business application I chose to stay clear of the open source program as they tend to be a bit behind the curve and they add another layer (a middle man so-to-speak) into the works that is not needed. I could see no benefit with going with pyside2 over straight pyqt5 so I chose the latter. As things have progressed I have found this tool to be quite powerful and versatile although finding the how-to of certain aspects of it can be a bit difficult at times learning how to quickly ascertain these things would do you a world of good down the road. Note pyside2 is no easier than pyqt5 so it gains no benefits there.

As to your project, having a vision is good, and building it in logical chunks is the best approach. Give yourself little success along the way to help show you are making progress not only for yourself but for those you are beholding to. So yes there are basic templates you can grab for pyqt5 that would help you get started and frankly that is exactly what I did. Granted I grabbed information not only from pyqt5 but from qt4 and C++ Qt since the translations for these into pyqt5 are fairly easy (for anyone that has done translations before that is again another skill worth learning).

Still in the end, use your best judgement as to what tool you feel will work best for you. Mine is but one suggestion and fully understanding the pros/cons of the various GUI tool kits might help you out later on (aka they might ask why you chose that tool kit over the others) so do a bit of googling on that and see what you can ascertain before making your final decision.